Sign in to follow this  
Guest misho

Nothing comes out

I installed TB today. Finally I found THE tool I needed.But it wont work.I have FS2004 and all the other things needed installed.I DO EXACTLY as it says in the tutorial, but after four times I give up.It only produces four empty directories and an installationfile.What is wrong?(And, btw, where can I learn about all the other functions in the program?)

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Doh. Ok, I figured out; I was one step off on the path to Terrain SDK in the settings.But now I've got a whole lot of TGA-files.... and some bgl's, but they did not end up in any of the new directories created. What shall I do with them now.I didn't get a chance to make a prefix either.I'm still a bit lost here....

Looks like your up the same 'creek' I am paddling on.Well let me say that I find the tutorial to be somewhat lacking. I found part of my problem and it was that on the Preferences General screen thecorrect version was not selected. In fact none was selected on one of my PCs and and the other had MS FLIGHT Simulator 2000 selected. I had no flight sim on that PC and FS2004 on the one where none was selected. The problem was that the TUTORIAL did not lead you to this screen but told you to go to the PATHS screen and then on to the Wizards.I now get a lot of Command Line DOS type output showing files being created but alas my Scenery Issues txt file has now grown even larger and still no output and now the INF is not created.I fear that there must be some unresolved issues with the product and FS2004 vs FS2002. Note that there is no button for MS Flight Sim 2004 so I then assume that I must at least chose one and so I pick 2002.Lastly I have the FS2004 Terrain SDK previously installed and cannot uninstall it. MSFR sez I must install a newer service pack with a newer windows Installer. I thought all this was going to be a 'drop in'. I should have known better. If you find the way out of the woods yell back at me and let me know how to find the way. PS. Did I suggest checking your SCENERY ISSUES file for errors?

One other item I discovered. Read the Whole Release History file for some info on usage of the other wizard, and other items. How much applies I don't know but it goes into more detail than the Help or Tutorial files do.

Hm, well, yeah, the tutorials are indeed lacking; at least for a beginner. It said that I could just jump into the plane and fly after this, but that's not true.After some more research I belive I am kinda on the right track and that the targafiles has to be sorted with SDK. Why TB couldn't complete the whole operation I will perhaps understand the day I'm hopefully a bit more experienced.One single question I have right now is; why are all the tga-files completely black?

Hi,I'm Misho, TerraBuilder's author. I usually let impatient newbies plug away at my software before they discover themselves what went wrong, and their correspondence usually goes like this:"Why the $#%@ isn't his working""Oh, sorry, just found out I missed the step"First off, because TB piggybacks on MS's Terrain SDK, it is absolutely cruical that you follow the installation procedure in the tutorial to the letter. Some steps seem benign and unneccessary, but believe me, they are needed to be performed as instructed. ALL of the beginners are turned off with how cumbersome the process seems and many give up. There is no way around it. But ones that do set up everything as instructed have no problem creating scenery. Why you're getting TGA files and not BMP files is unknown to me. You should be using FSTexConvert with all the latest DLL updates. Also, FSTexConvert runs for a while in the background - let it finish converting. The niagara example is a test case to verify that you have everything set up correctly. If that is not working, make sure you have everything set up as it was instructed first. Then, start asking questions after you exhausted any other possibility.I have seen many strange things inhibit the proper functioning of the TerraBuilder - for example, some versions of WinXP didn't like the CMD files (same as BAT files in old DOS) TB relies on when instructing outside apps...

Just to add:As I finished typing my previous post, I decided to conduct a sanity check and make sure tutorial is pointing in the right direction. It's been a while since I istalled software and the particular machine I use now had NO PREVIOUS TERRABUILDER OR OTHER SUPPORTING APPS ISTALLS, so you may consider it a clean install, and consider me a newbie ;)I downloaded a tutorial and proceeded downloading all the apps needed. I installed everything, including TB LITE, exactly as tutorial says. I proceeded with the scenery creation using the PhotoTerrain wizard. I ran everything and everything performed without a single hiccup. I have 1 BGL file in the "scenery" sub folder and 36 bmp files (size 43 k) in the "texture" folder. I can start FS, tell it where the new scenery is and fly it right away.One thing of note: I installed EVERYTHING from the beginning, including TB LITE itself and all the apps (except DLLs, those go to system dir), sdks, into a single folder (called TBTEST)... Perhaps you might want to try doing the same, just in case WinXP has problems resolving some indirect paths you might be referring to.

All right my friend, thanks a lot for the replies!I sorted it out!!!! And as as expected, it was me being sloppy.I used SDK for FS2002 instead of FS2000. (Man, you really have to focus while reading those tutorials, hehe.)My very last question for you (just to check if I've got it right):Is it so that the cells has to be completely filled to the rim to end up in FS? Does that again mean that the scenery then will be a complete square patch in FS without any possibility to make a nice, varied transition to the default ground around (unless you add some bits manually in your own scenery in Photoshop)?I'm very happy it's working now. You made a great tool!Any other tutorials out there btw?

>All right my friend, thanks a lot for the replies!>I sorted it out!!!! And as as expected, it was me being>sloppy.>I used SDK for FS2002 instead of FS2000. (Man, you really have>to focus while reading those tutorials, hehe.)>My very last question for you (just to check if I've got it>right):hmmmm... I should check why FS2002 sdk is not compatible. I thought resample.exe didn't change that much. Good find, though!>Is it so that the cells has to be completely filled to the rim>to end up in FS? Does that again mean that the scenery then>will be a complete square patch in FS without any possibility>to make a nice, varied transition to the default ground around>(unless you add some bits manually in your own scenery in>Photoshop)?that is unfortunately true. I was thinking of making some kind of a function that adds an alpha channel to the edge textures, but never got around to it.>I'm very happy it's working now. You made a great tool!>Thanks!>Any other tutorials out there btw?No, not yet. I am still flip flopping as to what incarnation will the next TB be. I made recently a discovery that will enable TB to use GMAX... but we'll see how that transpires.

Well. I tried with my own background yesterday. Size 256*256.Nothing happened (again....).What file format does the program accept.And how come the grids are squashed when tiles usually are the same size on all sides (which means that, if this had worked, I would have lost quite a lot of the picture since it floated out into some other squares)? What's the grid format?

What do you mean, size 256x256???Is that the size of your image? You've missed something very major here - you cannot work with such a small image. What is the point? That's the size of the single tile. Use 2048x2048 image (at least) anything smaller is not worth doing as a phototerrain project.My advice: Run the niagara falls project to make sure IT WORKS FIRST! And please, educate yourself with the basics of how photorealistic scenery works (ask questions and read forum posts until you understand the basics). You are trying to make scenery that has only ONE tile - you will obviously not see anything unless you are extremely lucky and position the tile precisely on the edges of a single LOD grid element.

I have a suggestion for you since this forum appears to be rather inactive.Read the 4th thread in the MSFT Scenery Design Forum.(an perhaps some of the older ones as well). In this thread some folks who appear to be quite knowledgable about creating 'photoreal' scenery/terrain poses some problems and answers that are quite insightful.The question revolves around the 4.8M/Pixel issue yet has a lot more serious information to offer.I have been able to obtain useful output from TB. I have yet to insert it in my scenery directory in FS2004 but I think that I am starting to lean more towards the genre of handcoding the INF files and perhaps using the 2004 SDK tutorial on Custom Scenery creation. In my case I am using 1 meter resolution colorized images from the airport in St. Louis, Mo. that I used to fly out of. With these images I can fly (with a sim now instead of previous in-flight viewing) look into the backyards and patios of my old residences and my previous neighbors and actually see their back yard pools. Maybe catch one skinny-dipping!I am anxious to see how these images render out and don't wish to lose any clarity or resolution whatsoever.

Hi,You will not be able to do anything different using "hand coding"...TB is only a front end to SDK and it does hand coding for you. The simple matter of the fact is: You cannot get resolution of more than 4.8 m/pix - resampler will simply re-size the texture to whatever it sees fit to place it within a LOD grid.LOD grid element uses one finite resolution of data within it: 256x256 - be it altitude data or image data. It just happens that MS has hard-coded an image data to be at LOD13 level, and you cannot shift it to LOD14 or LOD15. (which would give you 2.4 or 1.2 m/pix resolution) I wish I was wrong and I hope you can prove me otherwise. But any efforts to try otherwise have resulted in a dead end - yes, you can read that in any of the scenery design forums.As a side note, you could design a GMAX terrain object that fits precisely to the default ground and map ANY resolution map to it, but that is a whole other approach, and with its problems and shortcomings (crashboxes, no seasons, no proper water surfaces...)

Yes I suspected that this was the upper limit(4.8) from what I was reading.I was sorta daydreaming on that issue. I have downloaded some of the .300M images just to play with and see what pops out. At the minimum I can put them on my laptop w/GPS puck for my next trip up and not get lost again in the new downtown developments. Thanks for the update. Do you know of any flight sim that exceeds MSFT 2004 capabilities in scenery resolution? As I remember FLY was 7 or so. Maybe 7.5.

> Do you know of any flight sim that>exceeds MSFT 2004 capabilities in scenery resolution? As I>remember FLY was 7 or so. Maybe 7.5. >>No. sorry, not at this time. Again, a French scenery design team has managed to design a scenery with higher resolution, but I suspect this was done using a GMAX terrain patch. Perhaps in hte future, M$ will allow LOD14 and LOD15 to be used for photoreal textures...