Sign in to follow this  
misho_TerraBuilder

TerraBuilder news

Hi Everyone,I am finishing up brand new features for TerraBuilder PRO - It now includes a full-featured functionality for mesh-terrain design, and, more importantly, a cool new capability to design terrain of ANY LOD resolution in GMAX and exporting it via TerraBuilder into FS scenery.This means that GMAX is now available not only to the Aircraft and 3D object designers, but also to the terrain and landscape designers. You can now use a visual-design capability of GMAX to design or fine-tune deep canyons, sharp mountain peaks, coastal ridges and any other terrain features missed by the coarse and low-resolution SRTM data generally used in the large-scale terrain projects. The new TerraBuilder PRO package will consist of an updated main TerraBuilder application, plus a GMAX sript module, specifically written for TerraBuilder topography mesh design.Stay tuned and check often the www.TerraBuilder.com site - the release is expected within weeks.Misho Katulic, authorTerraBuilder

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Misho, I am constantly impressed with the improvements you are making to TerraBuilder. I purchased it many years ago and have been very pleased with its capabilities.I'd like to recommend one major feature be added. As you know, its now possible to get 1 meter true colored photo imagery from MS TerraServer (and even Google maps now). To get the imagery, I use USA PhotoMaps. It stores the various sub-bitmaps, but does not combine them into one large file for import into TerraBuilder. An option would be to use BigJPEG (by the same author), but this application tends to die because of virtual memory problems if you do anything reasonably sized (i.e. larger than an airfield). My ultimate dream would be to have TerraBuilder ask the user for Lat/Longs, then automatically download all the color imagery in that area, abstracting the format conversion in between.Lastly, will the new update allow easy superimposing of FS airfield objects on satellite imagery? This has always been a big pain for me as I still don't have a good way to ensure that my buildings/taxiways/etc. are accurately placed with respect to the satellite imagery.Respectfully,Enrique==========================Frequency change approved,Good day.

Thanks Enrique! I am upgradin as the need arises - there are now a few apps that do the same thing, so FS designers have plenty of choices.As for your request, the answer in short is - no. I used USAPhotoMaps and it performed ok for me. If it ran into memory problems, that means that TerraBuilder's feature would too.... it is a hardware issue. And I definitely do not have time to develop some kind of a fancy swapping technique to deal with this. TO deal with this, you can produce sub-objects with a few BGLs instead of a big one...no big deal. Or, boost your on-board memory....Regarding super-imposing, again - no. To place the airfield with some degree of accuracy involves a bit of work - you can note the precise location of the airstrip by noting it in FS and using 2-pt calibration in TB, that usually works. My experience is, however, that Photo Imagery is sometimes quite bit off from what MS has (or the other way around), so it will always be a compromise.Misho Katulic, authorTerraBuilder

HiMisho!Terrabuilder Pro will came with Tutorial for use Terrain in Gmax ???? I didn

Hello Misho,I purchased Terrabuilder Pro from you a few years ago.Will I need to buy the new version or do you have an upgrade policy?Thanks

You will be able to use this version for free - I have no plans to change the registration scheme. My policy is, when you purchase TerraBuilder, upgrades are free, unless there is a major re-write (as I thought I would be doing using Direct3D, until I figured how to use GMAX)Misho

Hello,Just a quick update: I have finished the new GMAX MESH MODULE for TerraBuilder and I am now writing on-line reference and tutorials.It took a little longer than I anticipated, but I managed to resolve all thechnical difficulties, and insert a few cool unanticipated features in the process! Release is expected early next week - stay tuned!Misho