Sign in to follow this  
Gridley

photoreal water with reflections/waves?

By suggestion, I thought I'd check here for some insight as to whether what I'm trying to do is possible. I have a nice aerial photo of Bermuda that I want to turn into a photoreal scenery. However, I really want to get photo textured water with the wave/reflection effects enabled. So far, I'm just using resample, and I can get the photo to texture the water, but no effects. I've tried adding an alpha to my 32-bit TGA, but I get transparency in the textures, which allows the water class texture to show through. It does have reflections/waves, but that's not what I'm after.Any thoughts?Thanks!sg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Scott,have you tried using a local waterclass setup with custom textures? Just like local landclass, if you supply the textures you'd like to use in a local texture subdirectory, FS will use those instead of the global version. That way you can give your waterclass textures any color and pattern you'd want. Maybe using this approach would provide a way to allow for surface waves and reflections. For example, I'd experiment with a white waterclass texture in combination with some transparency in your photoreal bitmaps. That way the photoreal texture should remain true to its color (though you may have to artificially increase saturation) and still provide wave patterns and surface reflections.... or maybe not... ;-) Even if it works the tricky bit would be the transition from photoreal water to "standard" waterclass.Cheers, Holger

I think I'll experiment with that Holger. I have already pasted my round-ish reef onto a background of the FS waterclass texture, so the blending should work. With the custom water class, do I need to have every visible water class texture to avoid the memory leak, or just those that are actually used in my class bgl?

Hi Scott,only those classes that are called in your local waterclass bgl.Good luck!Cheers, Holger