Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnC

New version issues

Misho, I thought I would load the new TB version and take a closer look in an organized fashion at the issue I just posted about earlier . I loaded all the extras like SDK's, and fired up TB. All the programs are in one folder and all the paths seem to be set correctly. First, I noticed that resample seemed now to crawl when typing out the 43210....0...0....in the DOS window (approx 3x slower) and even more surprising, I got a black border around my photo image to "fill out" the partial cells around the perimeter.. So instead of trimming them off, they were filled with black and put into the texture folder. (FSTexConvert was set to DXT1 with alpha (FS2K method)).....around the perimeter. Also when the DOS window work is completed I get a message to hit any key to continue...I would like the process to continue without any intervention.... Any help would be appreciated.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi John,I have never seen such a "sudden" change of functionality and performance... Makes me think if you indeed have everything set up right. The best thing to do is to download TB's PhotoReal Tutorial (From resources|tutorials page) and make sure you have all the support apps as specified. In it I specified that the resampler MUST be the one from FS2000 SDK, NOT FS2002 SDK. All the designers agree that MS actually went backwards with FS2002 SDK Resample and screwed a few things up, among them, the black border "fix". The older resample handled this better, discarding the incomplete LOD13 image segments.Also, I wasn't aware that DXT1 is now an "old" format for land textures and that FS2K4 handles it differently. If so, I have to adjust the FSTexConvert settings and re-release... well, this time I'll make them user-definable :)"Hit any key to continue" is a method of having the DOS window stay on the screen so that user can check what, if any, error messages were reported. It actually DOES NOT hinder the process in the background - FSTexConvert processes the textures hapilly in the background. You can leave the DOS window open, the scenery will be created nevertheless.Please read the last page of the tutorial (the one that says "That's It!") I mentioned there that FSTexConvert will be working on the textures for a while, depending on the size of the project. Please let us know if this helped...

Of course you are correct....I did not have the path set correctly...when I defined the path all the way through to the terrain folder, everything went back to normal. I have an entire state (VT) in spring summer colors and it's at 0.95m/pixel resolution so I would like to fix all these problems and actually distribute something......I will put a screenshot out and you can see for yourself. Seasonal textures and the lightmap may still be a pain though..........

I posted a screenshot of typical Vermont photoreal countryside in the Screenshot Forum.

Absolutely lovely!Did the roads line up as you were mentioning in your previous post?I am assuming that you are using 0.98m/pix resolution scenery and letting Resample resize it to 4.78m/pix - one very important tip: You should use a good high end photo editing app to do this instead of relying on Resample. PhotoShop or Paint Shop Pro will do a much better job. Resample will then realize there is "nothing to do" and leave the imagery alone (much faster as well)

I use Paint Shop Pro and I have an experiment going to see the results two different ways...one with resample and one with PSP's bicubic resample ( I assume this is the best one available...PSP 5 only has a few....I will post the results (and my own opinion) when its done.Roads lining up is still an open issue...I suspect I am running out of decimal places on the cell dimensions....after all, the higher the resolution of the photo, the smaller the number of degrees/pixel...the smaller the number, the more zeros directly after the decinal point...the more space taken up by zeros, the possibility that a small delta change in latitude will only show up way out on the end (or in my case past) the end of a double long variable....etc...etc..Maybe a C language expertt can confirm or deny....it could be that the exponent is stored separately and thus it doesn't matter. Of course resampling first to 4.78 m/pixel will fix this problem rather quickly. Just as an aside, the guys in my retirement community here in FLA who also have FS9 are absolutely awestruck when they see this photoreal scenery in real color.