Sign in to follow this  
Guest andy58

A suggestion for photoreal productivity

Misho my scenery from a large color database of DOQ's now allows me to set up a stored flight with a starting point inside a cloud just above the start of my photoreal scenery....when you drop altitude a little you come out of the clouds and great looking color photoreal scenery rolls by for a good ten or twenty minutes depending upon the aircraft before you approach the Burlington Vermont airport. I have to tell you the spectators who watch this over my shoulder are absolutely amazed at the improvement in realism. That's the good news. I will attach a screenshot or two separately. Now the bad news. I was naive enought to believe that my DOQ's files (from a source which wishes to remain anonymous) are georeferenced in a perfectly orthoganal way so that a 200 megabyte bitmap would overlay perfectly within a meter or two of airport runways at the opposite corners of the map, or that they would overlay accurately my 38m mesh I got from FSGenesis. I have several up to 45km by 45km bitmaps and I assumed they would have no skewing or drifting of latitudes or longitudes. In retrospect that was naive, and accurate georeferencing will require smaller bitmaps and some careful adjusting one by one. I'm not up to that at present, and I won't publish anything less.I have a suggestion or two about productivity.. I have used the product for hundreds of hours and I think I have a good idea here. I have typed in extents and adjusted extents hundreds of times. I have then taken the crosshairs and checked the position of landmarks hundreds of times.I would like to suggest you provide a pop up VB window to allow people to specify and bump extents by using a scrollable range of numbers for degrees, minutes seconds and fractions of seconds to replace typing in extents in either format which gets real old after a couple of hours.The ability to define the location of multiple crossroads, landmarks,etc and have those locations pop up on the bitmap as little red crosses (like your gridlines do) would allow people to quickly bump extents (no repeated trial and error typing...just bump and look...until a specific crossroad moved properly under a given red cross.People are soon going to get their hands on big color databases....when they do they will be unlikely to be so orthoganal that they will simply overlay within a meter or two across 2000 square kilometers. If they have to be broken up, this productivty enhancement would be a great help. More later.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Your georeferenced bitmaps are probably in the wrong projection. You need circular or WGS84 projection for use in Fsim. I'm currently using mosaics constructed from 512 x 512 30m/pixel image tiles from Worldwind with perfect alignment with SRTM mesh. This is Wilpena Pound in South Australiahttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144744.jpg

Hi Andy...Wow...your screenshot is very very impressive. I think you are right about the projection, but this is the only dataset I know of in DOQ color I can get for free that has resolution in the 1m/pixel range. At a thousand or so feet above one of our cleaner and shallower rivers I can see the rocks on the river bottom........I use Paint Shop Pro which allows me to distort one corner of the bitmap at one time so my plan is to establish as large a bitmap at about 4.5m/pixel, that has a well defined landmark at each of the four corners and then work the four corners separately with the distort tool until all four corner landmarks are in place. My suggestion to Misho would allow me to put a small temporary landmark mark X on the screen at those four corners, and then "bump" the seconds and fractional seconds by some small increment until they line up.Checking with the crosshair and the little windows along the bottom gets old.

Hi John, have you tried rotating your image. The dataset I had been using, still only 25m, covered Australia and was in some weird projection and UTM centered on the equator and the center of the continent, around E134. Near the centre it wasn't too bad but to the west or east I had to rotate up to about 8 deg. which helped a bit. I tried to reproject parts of it but couldn't find anything that worked.Datasets out to about 30m work fine with altitudes from about 3000ft. up and are available for almost anywhere. On landing I'm usually too busy watching out for other aircraft and lining up the runway to notice much of the detail. Resizing the source to about 10m before cutting the textures helps and reducing the colours to 32k seems to resharpen things up a bit after the resizing.Andyhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144842.jpg

Hi Andy....basically, I believe I am effectively rotating my dataset by pulling each corner into place one by one and checking to see if the corner landmarks line up with my GMAX pushpins at each corner, placed at the landmarks with Topozone for lats and longs.Each of the four corners seems to have a slightly different offset, and rotating everything IMOP cuts down on the sharpness of the image. What's a pushpin? See attached jpg.The difficulty with this approach is the long time it takes to recompile a 2 or 3 thousand KM bitmap...thus my suggestion about defining specific lats/longs directly in TB with little red crosses, so that one could check alignment directly in TB, without long recompiles.Either Misho is on vacation, or he is "thinking" about this. :-bang

Do you know what projection your images are in or can you find out from your source. I expect you wouldn't have any problem using one of the freebe GIS applications to convert it, and being in the US it would most likely be represented, unlike mine. I have some good links to GIS formats/applications if doing something within Terrabuilder is not an option.Andy

Actually, I was going to (and will) ask him what the projection is, but he is unavailable right now. All I know is that the data drifts West as I move from North to South, and that they are color versions of the digital orthoquads avalable in B&W on the net (but in two separate projections).I very much appreciate your helpfulness. One of the previous posters paid $200 for a good reprojection software pkg, but I'm sure that he knows what his starting projection type is. I don't (yet) but I suspect tugging on the corners of my bmp might get me quite a bit closer.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144899.jpgYou can see from this attachment that the quality is very good and that even with a little error in placement, it's possible to enjoy the result.

Hi guys!Not on vacation, but working really hard on my TerraBuilder:Moon project. Sorry to say this, but TerraBuilder PRO will have to take a backseat to this, as I have simply no time to even understand what is needed. Also, from the suggestions of the other users, it seems that the problem is in the imagery itself, and the "fix" wouldn't help (correct me if I'm wrong)

My format is apparently NAD83 which I see on the web as basically the same as WGS84..........I'll keep checking

It's been a while but one of these links gives both the formats and what the utilities are capable of.http://www.grime.net/gistools/http://www.digitalgrove.net/Links.htmYes, your scenery comes up very well. It makes a real difference to be able to navigate with realistic references.This is the juncture between my 30m and 8m(based on 2m source)scenery. The 8m is a bit out, maybe 50m or so, but was only eyeballed into position. I've redone a new version at 5m but never got around to cutting it.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/144947.jpg

Your links are much appreciated. I wil post my progress down the road a little. BTW, what Paint program are you using?

I've been using PSP like you for these but it's soon to run out. I think there's a new one out but by then I'll probably have had enough and be on to something else, it was Landclass (LC Assistant was yours ?) and mesh before this(I did Ozmesh and South America) but I started out with Misho and Terrabuilder back with FS98. Aside from converting from 256 colour my original scenery, about 140 x 50 km @ 5 and 8m, is still in use. I've got Arcsoft, Gimp, PhotoImpact(image/video) and Elements2 so can usually get by with them for most conversion/resize etc.RegardsAndy