Sign in to follow this  
Guest flybynyt

Location of placement marker

I purchased TB Pro and successfully worked through the mesh/GMAX tutorial. :) The mesh was placed in Alaska. The only thing that appeared a bit strange was having the entire LOD cell seemingly with an elevation of 0 meters above sea level. The mesh mountain is there, but it is dropped down inside a hole the size of the LOD11 grid.Is there something I missed in terms of setting the mesh base altitude?My second challenge is getting the LOD overlap and adjustments. I was able to place the same tutorial mesh in other LOD 11 sections nearby the original tutorial LOD area in Alaska. I also worked through the process of increasing/decreasing the Overlap adjustments to get a feel for how the process worked. With the other LODs I was also able to work to the correct overlap (knowing it would be close to the tutorial numbers)and create the bgl file. They worked fine besides the same "down in a hole" look of the first tutorial mesh. However, as soon as I moved to another location in California, the same mesh would not resample and I was bumping the overlap adjustment numbers very small incremental amounts but never achieved success.Is there a location in the LOD 11 area that should be "targeted" when obtaining LAT/LON numbers? The upper left corner? Or is it OK to be any location within the LOD? I tried placing the LAT/LON numbers for my Cal experiment both in the center of the LOD 11 area and the upper lefthand corner. No luck. :(So far I have not been able to get any mesh to show up in any other location than in Alaska at the tutorial area. Thanks for your time and consideration.Cheers,Mark

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi! Whew!!! I have had a complete blackout with the forum - for some reason, the cookie problem kept re-appearing. grrr. I finally figured it out - the automatic cookie handling must be overridden (in hte Explorer settings). It is either something to do with the Windows upgrade or the AVSIM... because this used to work before and I haven't changed anything...Anyhoo - let's try to help users with some answers :)Mark, your first q - perfectly makes sense and is understandable. When you design the mesh, the elevations are ABSOLUTE. Unfortunately, there is no way to "add" the base elevation, so anything you design with say 100m height will be 100m ASL, not AGL. The new mesh will not "add" elevations to the existing mesh, but it wiull replace it. The best way you can fix this is to give your flat "patch" an altitude in GMAX. You can easily do that by moving the patch to the desired height in "z" direction. LOD overlap - that's a mistery to me too. did you actually re-design the patch inside the GMAX or did you just "move" it by re-defining position in inf file? Placement of the location marker in GMAX only serves to generate the grid patch - it does not affect the creation of the scenery. When the patch is created, it is named so that the exporter understands where it is, and it is always upper left corner of the LOD, which is always a fixed value.I'll play around with the other locations to see if I can get more insight into this...Misho

Hi Misho! Thanks for a great tool! :)OK, the altitude and elevations answer makes good sense. I was guessing that it might be as you described, however I rarely move my GMAX models away from 0,0,0 coordinates so I was not sure if I could simply raise the height of the model within GMAX to achieve the correct elevation. Fantastic!LOD overlap is indeed one of those areas of scenery design that is more art than science. :-roll However I can see that once one develops the feel and style to quickly dial in the correct numbers, then :-beerchugTo answer your question, I attempted to place the standard tutorial mesh without alterations at other locations but no joy. Then I went back and did alter the mesh (converted the tutorial mesh to editable mesh in GMAX) and had fun just changing the mesh here and there. Then exported and used the modified mesh and placed it without a problem at the tutorial location in Alaska. But never successfully at any other location I attempted.I'm sure I just have not quite got the hang of LOD overlap. But I will! :) I usually start at the .0005 modifier and go one digit up or down such as .0004 and then .0003 and so on. Then adjust so that I start using smaller increments again, such as .000049 to .000048.Once I get to .001 have I reached the "normal" extents you use to get the correct number? When adjusting the overlap, should I expect the modifier number to be within a rather short range, say not greater .001? Have you ever used a negative value for overlap or is that more rare?Sorry if that is a lame explanation, I'm one of those "visual people" that is somewhat "numbers challenged". :)Thanks for your help!Cheers,Mark

Sorry for getting in on this so late, but I had the same problems trying to get terrain to appear in the N53 W9 area. I've found that you have to check the central radio button in the "LOD Overlap" box. then start off with a big overlap, as suggested, and make it smaller and smaller. i can sometimes get away with 0.000011, but usually it's closer to 0.0002.