Sign in to follow this  
Guest rjfon1

Converting resolution problems

Good evening all.I just downloaded and want to start making some photoreals for Melbourne Australia.I did a save in google of Essendon for a try, which saved in a jpeg format. Oviously this didn't work, as TB requires a 256colour bitmap, not a 24 bit true colour. When I tried resaving the same picture as a 256 colour, all the colours went crazy, it looked solarised.Can someone help me out her. Is it just me? (It wouldn't supprise me!Many thanks in advance.Rob.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Tried it with photoshop and paint.Both gave the same results.Rob.

Ok, you are set as far as software... Converting to 256 should not be a challenge. Start again, using your 24-bit jpeg as a source, and make sure you use "Adaptive" setting... (this will "adapt" the new palette to the best fit)

Hi Misho.What do you mean by adaptive settings. Are you able to talk me through the process, such as with photoshop.If you don't have time, feel free to say so. I am not easily offended.Thanks in advanceRob.

No problem... ok, a quick Photoshop course:Start by opening your image in Photoshop. If it displays "the way you like it", that's a good start!Next, from the top menu, select "Image->Mode->Indexed color..."From the pop up dialog, select:Palette: Local (Adaptive)Colors: 256Forced: NoneOptions:Dither: DiffusionAmount: 75%Don't press OK just yet...take a look at the small checkmark that is labeled "preview". Click that on and off to see before and after states.Depending on how many colors you have in your imagery, you might want to play around with settings, especially Palette (try other options, perceptual and selective) and Dither amount. Dither will put small pixel checker patterns to fool the eye into thinking there is more colors.Don't change the 256 color setting - that is exactly how many you can have - not one more! (you can have less, but then you are cutting your self short on all those pretty colors that your original image had)So, what you have now is, your original image with millions of colors has been crunched down to an image with only 256 colors. One more step you need to do is, "Save as..." and save your image as a BMP type. It should notify you that it is a Windows bitmap, and 8-bits color depth. Do NOT select any compression. Something worth noting is that even though the number of colors has been drastically reduced, your image might actually increase in size, because BMP format does not support compression (as opposed to JPEG, which does, and can be extremely efficient in reducing image size)That's it - you are ready for TerraBuilder.

G'Day Misho.I don't know what country you are in, but here in Australia,"You are a legend".Did as you said, and it worked perfectly, and the colour changes were negligable.Many thanks.Rob.Melbourne Australia.

I'm in Melbourne Australia.Known as the city of four seasons in one day.Yesterday 38 degrees C with a desert style wind.Today 17C and pouring with rain. Must be the global worming and Global cooling cycle.Rob.