Sign in to follow this  
misho_TerraBuilder

TerraBuilder:Moon - the official rundown!

Hello everyone!Sorry to keep everyone in the dark about this! I am actually attending AVSIM conference and away from my office. I just figured out how to get into forum on my new laptop (dreaded cookie problem) so that now I can start participating here! To give you a quick rundown: Yes, TerraBuilder:Moon is RELEASED, and available for purchase. Since I left for the Microsoft DevCon conference 2 days after the release, there has been a bit of a blackout about it.First of all, please take a look at the TerraBuilder site www.terrabuilder.com (if you haven't had a chance yet) AND following promo videos:http://www.terrabuilder.com/FutureIsNowTitled.wmvhttp://www.terrabuilder.com/TBMDemoAscentTitled.wmvThey are 6 months old and the scenery elements have changed quite a bit - please take a look at the screenshot section on the web site for the final in-sim look.Next: To clarify, TerraBuilder:Moon is intended as a fun, exploratory visual experience of where we might be in a few decades. It uses powerful FS engine to create a lunar environment on a global scale (as opposed to the "dome" concept) and it contains 300,000 sqkm of terrain to be explored.TerraBuilder:Moon... ...does NOT model real orbital mechanics - it is impossible to do so in the current version of FS.... does NOT accurately represent Moon as a celestial body. It is impossible to shrink the Earth in FS, so the moon in TerraBuilder is the same size as Earth.... does NOT accurately represent celestial lunar cycles, so the day on the moon is not 28 days in length (as it is in reality) ... does NOT represent real locales on the Moon - the high resolution terrain is GENERIC, containing geological elements found on the moon. The reason that there is no real locales on the moon is that there simply isn't any data available. We are looking into techniques of taking lunar atlas data and creating topography by hand for areas of special interest. To cover the whole moon, the task would be immense... and we would probably not be finished by the time NASA does finally get LIDAR and altimetry data. Actually, Japan has launched a probe a month ago, and it is now collecting the high-res altimetry. We'll see if that becomes available....does NOT cover the entire Earth with lunar topography - again, simply because tere isn't any available yet - even NASA does not have any better than 4km resolution which is quite coarse. The entire Earth IS covered with lunar textures, and you are free to fly anywhere on the globe and it will look like a flat lunar surface. This real estate is prime for your own terrain addon and scenery packs :)...does NOT model the real flight model of the space vehicle (simple newtonian rocket thrust), although it does come very very close. We are working on that very hard, and we already have a nearly perfect flight model. The flight model is based on R22 Robinson helicopter and the only thing that is unrealistic is the lift it gets from the rotor when pitched up. Rotor is obviously not displayed in the model, but that effect is still there.We WILL support heavily this product with spacecraft and terrain add-ons, and as any other FS product, it is extremely extensible and expandable. The unique position of this product is that it will have it's own add ons, which in effect will be addons to an addon. I had an amazing response to this product, and had an opportunity demo it to a sizeable MS crowd here at the conference. Their response was overwhelming - that's all I can say for now ;)There ARE new terrains, lunar bases and outposts and spacecraft in the pipeline, AND a completely cool, fully driveable, bouncy, dusty Lunar Rover. The first order of priority is to have TBM available on FSX, and we will put full effort into that first. FSX will also bring the possibility of missions on the moon, and this is where the REAL fun will begin!If you have ANY questions about the product, please feel free to ASK here. I will be happy to answer them all. The first and foremost for us is to have you understand what exactly you are purchasing, and be happy with the product. If you make an informed purchase and realize the full potential of the product, you will NOT be dissapointed.Best regards, everyone!Misho KatulicPresident, TerraBuilder Inc.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Thank you Misho for the rundown.I will look for you at the AVSIM conference today (saturday), I live just north of Seattle. Your product looks GREAT.Neil

Thanks, Neil!Looking forward to bumping into you! Ask me for a demo, I have the TBM on my laptop and I'll gladly show it to you!Misho

Hi MishoSorry I missed you at the Avsim Conference. It wasn't for lack of trying to find you, and we may have even shared Arno Gerretsen's "Evolution of Scenery Design" talk. But when I talked to Arno afterwards he couldn't point you out and thought you may have left for lunch. Oh well!! I'll send an e-mail to TerraBuilder to pass along what I wanted to mention. Hope you enjoyed our Seattle weather as we provided a fairly warm, sunny and dry weekend, very unusual for November.Neil

Sunday was an absolutely amazing day - after the FanCon Wrapped up, Arno, James Smith and myself went for a scenic ride with Kenmore Air's Turbo Otter - what a treat!!! It was very bumpy, but I loved every second of it!