Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robm1207

Add-on vehicles?

Until the Lunar Buggy comes out, I wanted to drive Hama's Stalwart around on the moon. It seems to work alright, except for one thing. It won't move! Actually, it seems to get up to about a quarter of a mile an hour or so. How do I need to modify it to run normally?ThanksStarJourney

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

How cool is that! I didn't know this was kicking around. The engine sounds need re-work (right now it is a jet engine, and that's because it is aliasing it to C182 which in TB is not present) but other than that, very nice!My version runs fine, at zippy 30 kts (~50 down the hill!!). Did you try pressing CTRL+F4 for full thrust?

No, I was using my joystick throttle. I'll give it a try tho! :) Also, I tried running the Space 1999 Eagle but when I touched down, it kept crashing! Any ideas? Maybe I'll try different locations.....

Not sure which Eagle you are using, but I downloaded "StratoJet Eagle" from FlightSim archives (AVSIM doesn't have that one).It uses an airplane flight model so it can't take off vertically. I applied the MoonHopper flight model and it worked perfect (I got inspired by someone who did the same thing and posted the screenshots on AVSIM)If yours is crashing, I am not sure why that could be. The landing pads in TBM are fairly small, so it might be that you are catching on the side walls or hardware on the pad :)

Well, I got the stalwart to work. I just tried a different place and it's worked great so far! I'm making routes between the bases with gps markers and waystations every 10 klicks. I think it would be cool to create a lunar trucking route for the supplies that are too big/heavy to take via the hopper.As far as the Eagle, it's a different on with a flight model similar to the moonhopper. I'll play with it some more. How do you apply the moonhopper's flight model? Which files do you have to copy over?And as far as the landing pads go, I'll need a LOT more practice before I and get one of those down! LOL My hovering skillz suck.....

I"m also trying to figure out how to VTOL the Eagles as well. Have tried to use add on guages from Flight Sim, no luck as yet. The Lost in Space Goddard Jupiter 2 (Pendercrafts) has perfect VTOL-don't know if able to apply its guage to Eagles. As far as crash landings, make sure to use the F7/F8 keys to bring speed down to nearly 0 such as flying a Harrier.

Have you tried adding the TerraBuilder flight model to the Eagles? It works well, albeit, you need to pitch down to get going, and pitch up to brake. This is the "proper" way the Newtonian mechanics would work on the moon. This, however, was NOT the way Eagles flew in the TV Series.Pragmatically, the Eagle design is inherently flawed, having the "pusher" engines in the back. This implies that the engines push the spacecraft through something that provides resistance. On Earth, that would be air, but on the moon, there is no resistance. If Eagle used its main engines to push forward, it would have to turn around 180 degrees and use the same engines to brake, to create equal and opposite force to bring it back to the standstill.The way things are going to "fly" on the moon is either by using the helicopter-like pitching to affect the thrust direction, or using a series of small thrusters around the vehicle to "push-brake", and one large thruster to keep it "up" (counter the lunar gravity)

My biggest problem is that the controls get really, REALLY mushy at slow speeds and I'm still trying to master them. Any suggestions?

I like the design of the moon hopper just fine, it's just the slow-speed mushiness that gets me..... Maybe some sort of computerized stabilization like on the more modern helocoptors? Or an autopilot of some sort? Not unreasonable, considering what modern autopilots can do with the newer military helos.....

Has anyone tried the Lunar Landing Research Vehicle (LLRV) from Lunarpilot http://www.things-to-come.com/lunarpilot/It is as realistic as it gets to an Apollo Lunar Module in flight characteristics and something that the real astronauts trained on before going to the moon.Do you think it would work with TBmoon? and is there a forcast date for the FSX version?Cheers, Draxx.

Hi Draxx,We're working on an FSX version and it is going well, but as it was predicted, to do it right, it will take a bit. For instance, the introduction of shaders made things a bit tricky. For instance...the shadows that were deep and dark on FS9 are now kind of washed out and they look a bit off. We'll have to pay attention to details like that before we're satisfied with the overall look.Re: LLRV, I have never flown it... but I am guessing it was made on top of Helicopter flight model, the way MoonHopper is.Cheers,

Well... slow speed mushiness is exactly what a rocket engine would behave like - even a smallest tilt off the horizontal would give it some lateral speed. Granted - an autopilot would be a great feature to have, but we have no expertise or time here to develop it in house. I have personally tried a few helo autopilots on moonhopper and they work very well. But of course, they are authored material and can't be included with the package.

Continually holding altitude with a rocket engine wastes a lot of fuel. On the Moon (or any airless planet/moon) the most efficient way to travel any distance is a ballistic trajectory. You would need a gauge to do it in FS but in Orbiter what I do is load up the map view and lift a couple Km into the air. Next pitch forward about 45* and apply full thrust until your impact point on the map MFD reaches the target. Note the cutoff altitude. That's where you will start braking on the way down. On landing reverse the procedure. Not only is it most efficient, it's a lot more fun. Here's another vehicle that works good on the Moon if you have the add on. It's free now by the way.Things To Come Jetpack. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/182743.jpg

Hmmm... I would have to disagree with you on the efficiency of the ballistic trajectory. We have done quite a bit of research into the modes of operation of lunar transport. We've actually based MoonHopper on a research project done by Bell Aerospace for NASA, way back in 1971 (same people, btw, who have developed the real jet pack in your screenshot). This was only a feasibility study, so no real blueprints came out of it. But, it does state that "continuous thrusting" would be used to counter the lunar gravity. Other than that, it would cruise inertially, and of course, require high thrust to take off and land - exactly like MoonHopper. Here is a PDF link to the first page of the document, which covers the principle and basics of propulsion:http://pdf.aiaa.org/jaPreview/JSR/1971/PVJAPRE30273.pdfAnd this is the full NASA study of the "original" MoonHopper:http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._1969029818.pdfNote that in the NASA document they are mentioning a side-by-side seating spacecraft. If you read the document, on page 8 you will find "Performance" section, where they explain the "Nap of the Moon" flight profile.I am no rocket scientist, but it does seem wasteful to me to propel the spacecraft into a suborbital ballistic trajectory, only to use up more fuel for braking and bringing it down some distance away. That distance, to me, would be covered much more efficiently by hovering. Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Have you ever seen the earlier Gerry Anderson series UFO? On that moon base, they used a "moonhopper" as well & (in effects) it seems that it used some kind of continuous thrust to propel it along the surface.