Sign in to follow this  

How can I add more gates to airports?

Hi All,Just an observation of what has not been said. -- As I see it. The excellent previous program by Lee was freeware. I kind of believe the new program will also be freeware.V-J has not stated in this discussion if his and his(Scott- Timberline?) brothers' program will be freeware.I certainly am hoping for freeware. We are retired also. ;)If I were Lee, I would be very cautious about exchanging information.Likewise, If I were V-J, I would be very cautious about exchanging information.The goals may not be the same.Do I smell money more than feelings? :( Thanks,BobIn the Land of Lincoln

And just how did you know Scott was a part of Timberline?-john

Well now that asked, I guess the same way that I now know Stottlemire. See your post of 3/16/02 at 8:48.And then --- Ohio Airport -- retired.You must ask? After all it looks as if you have a lot of experience in the information age. The (Scott Timberline) was just a fishing comment to add confidence if you asked. We will always comment about family. ;) As you know, Google doesn't know everything, but it does knows a lot if you have a few starting facts and a have a few minutes available. "Digital Express Internet Service Inc.", "4417 Constitution Lane, Marmianna Fl.", "Panama City", "Olathe North HS, KS - 63". Interesting reading, That is just a small sample. I didn't even look with the other search engines.Some of it is probably not correct, but I was betting most of it was.I just wanted to know the possible goals of each.Thanks,BobIn the Land of Lincoln

My name nor my past is a secret :-), I'm actually very proud of what I've been able to accomplish with no formal training/schooling in computers. Digital Express definately is the high point of my life, as it very quickly became the largest ISP in the state of Florida and was founded with $100, 2 486 computers and 5 zoom 28.8 external modems. (yes, I tooted my own horn)I didn't graduate Olathe North HS in Kansas, and the year I graduated isn't even close (I graduated in 1982, making me 37 years old).I sold Digital Express a little over 2 years ago and moved back to Ohio because of my father's failing health, my desire was to be able to spend more time with him prior to his death.MUCH of the information is correct, however, I can say that there is also 'much' of it that is totally incorrect. I often wonder where they come up with it.If you want to know anything more, just ask :-).-john

Could Virtually_John be moving in the direction of another business venture?The previous attempts in this forum to discredit Lee :-swordy's work may well be part of his spin on the marketplace to open up an opportunity. I invited him to send me a copy of the bgl he amended at Port Columbus so that I may independently arbitrate on the veracity of his claims. Funny - no email in my box.

Maybe I'm moving in a totally different direction all together? Maybe I've decided to stop working on the product since you seem to have so much faith in Lee's package?why would I send a file, that should Lee get his hands on it he can compare what I've done to the original and find the location and formula for the hash code through reverse engineering?Remember, he's told me that I'm wasting my time. I guess that means the discovery I've made to prevent the crash with flight planner isn't needed.What's even funnier: Lee hasn't made a comment since I told him his product is utterly useless, since you can not open flight planner after editing an airport.-john

You all might want to read the documentation that comes with this program. FS2002 Scenery--Hartsfield AirportName: katl_rev.zip Size: 125,227 Date: 03-17-2002 FS2002 Scenery--Hartsfield Airport, Atlanta, Georgia (GA) update. Updates the facility file to give an additional 22 gates at KATL. Includes a seperate VOR NDB file. By Al Douglass. With in it Al says:This is my third attempt at revising the AFDfiles to add more gates andparking. I decided to tackle KATL because I live in the Atlanta area and Hartsfield is used as a hub for most of my traffic. So additional gates at Hartsfield mean more traffic all around.I plan to write a description of how I updated the facility file as soon as I am able (recovering from 2 heart attacks). Basically, the facility files, located in C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002SCENEDBafdfilesscenery, control the runways, frequencies, gates and taxiway points.The file that contains KATL is usseaf11.bgl.These files are made up of containers that are discreet units with a beginning and an end. Each airport, VOR, NDB is represented by a container and each container's beginning point is referenced in a namelist at the end of the facility file. If you add to a container, (an airport), you change its length and all following containers are no longer referenced by the namelist. They actually disappear from the airport selection list in FS2K2.To overcome this problem I removed all VOR/NDB data from the facility file andcreated another file to contain them. I also moved the KATL container to the end of the file so no other airports would be affected by my changes.I have added 22 gates and parking locations including many new heavy gates atConcourse E which is the international concourse at Hartsfield. The gate numbers have been updated to reflect more accurately the real world. A parking location has been included at the Delta shop facilities at the east end of the airport. Three general aviation spots have been added at the south end for some variety.All new gates can be found after the default gates in the selection list. I kept them seperate because it was easier that way and because you can plan additional AI traffic if you know exactly what the new gates are.=================================We are all LUCKY. I think several people at various stages of solving the puzzle that will be solved by more then one person.Good Luck to you all.Thanks,BobIn the land of Lincoln

VJAll you have managed to do is pour cold water on Lee's development. Why would he respond and get himself into a forum war when he has announced he will be beta testing in a couple of weeks. He is spending his time usefully instead of ##### and whinging about being told not to waste your time.Does the term 'waste of space' mean anything to you?As for your bgl file - what a p poor response. I don't believe it exists - one thing I will say - you make a nice doctored screen shot - why not enter it into the next comp at the other forum.

"FS2002 Scenery--Hartsfield AirportName: katl_rev.zip Size: 125,227 Date: 03-17-2002 FS2002 Scenery--Hartsfield Airport, Atlanta, Georgia (GA) update. Updates the facility file to give an additional 22 gates at KATL. Includes a seperate VOR NDB file. By Al Douglass. "Where is this file available please????

Well,You don't know that the screen shot is doctored. That's just an assumption that you have made with no proof whatsoever to back it up.Are you Lee's PR manager or what ?The proof is in the pudding. Lets just see what people come up with. I don't care who makes the prog to change gates, runways etc. I just want it, and if there's 2 or 3 or more, even better.Tony

The only proof I have is reluctance to produce the bgl for scrutiny.Lee doesn't need a PR manager - his work says it all.Last para - couldn't agree more :-outta

'scuse my ignorance,How do you modify the wingspan of an aircraft?Is it in the air file?I tend to use FS98 planes for my AI traffic and they nearly always park in inappropriate places (747's on the GA ramp etc.etc.)How can I correct this?Cheers all,Ian

Guest Stamatis

You don't need to change the span in the air file. This would corrupt the flight characteristics. What you need to do is edit the CustomAircraft.dat file coming with the SDK, and set the required Gate span for that aircraft to whatever size you wnat it to be.Stamatis

See:http://www.hspgmbh.de/AIExample/Example.html"How to change ground traffic with SCC V2.03This is a try to show how one can add and change AI ground traffic in the existing scenery. Lets start: 1. Build the database in SCC , i prefer you copy the afd files in a seperate directory, in my example i choose c:bgltestareascenery, remember SCC detects bgl files only in directories which are named ...scenery and ...scenedb"The search is over. Cost .. US$28.00Thanks,BobIn the land of Lincoln