Sign in to follow this  

A/C taxi speed

Hey everyone.I think we should get together and see if we can figure out a way to increase the taxi speed.its causing me quite alot of problems and is simply annoying having planes going around because the 737 won`t clear the runway in time.I`m thinking,initially..I know nothing about FDEs,but is there a parameter in the FDE that governs ground friction / drag??..could this be altered..and would it alter the taxi speed.Just a general what do you think thread because the last one you did about gate sizes and why the planes goto certain gates was very productive and got a result..lets try it again!

The King Air as an AI aircraft taxies just as slowly as the rest. I assume it's hard coded into FS.-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://members.aol.com/tgfltsim/index.htmlAlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://members.aol.com/alcohauler/home/alcohaul.htmlFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Tom, I guess you don't have the taxi problem at San Diego, with it being all concrete, I would just add additional connections from the runway to the taxi ways. I even have them cross on the grass at the small airports I cranked up near KPIA so we could have light aircraft in the sky and yet not landing at the major airport and slowing thing down. Mt Hawley is about 7 miles north and Pekin is about 9 miles south and so the C172s etc are in the sky for additional eye candy and yet are not slowing down the departures at KPIA. I think I will also try and use the closed loop at some other little fields near by to add still more aircraft to the friendly skies.Regards,BobFrom a Sr. Catman to a Jr. Butterflyhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3cb4cc9e7c7a1bb1.jpg

I think its hardcoded.I made the braking 50% of the normal value in the AI airfiles, in the hope they traveled more during landing and reach the taxi ways sooner, but no luck.Groundfriction isnt in the Airfile.. I wish it was.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd

Guest waltch

Hi I think I have found a way to solve (at least partly) the problem of AI-aircraft not leaving runways in time and therefore causing go-around procedures for aircraft trying to land in about 2-4 minutes intervals.I did this with the fantastic program AFCAD of L. Swordy after having created one runway for landings (14/32) and one runway for departures (16/34) at LSZH. I guess it is known by now how this can be done by playing with the runway lengths and "closing" restrictions.The landing runway 14/32 is quite long before the first taxiway exits to the terminal and gates at Zurich. After increasing the traffic volume I had therefore a lot of go-arounds as it takes minutes for the taxiing a/c to leave rwy 14/32. With AFCAD I created a "virtual taxiway" from a place where AI-aircraft have usually slowed down. This virtual taxiway does not exist (and cannot be seen in the scenery of course), but I made it very close to the runway connecting to the first real exit taxiway. The planes now move on the right half of the runway and not any more in the center. Of course I placed a hold point where this virtual taxiway starts.This helped a lot, as now ATC is tricked into thinking the a/c has already left the runway (taxiing to the gate instructions are given where this virtual taxiway starts) and the following aircraft can land within 2 minutes.AFCAD is really powerful to play tricks with ATC and the default AI setup!RegardsWalter

Walter,Sounds a good trick to me - I am off to try it now!But the reason for writing is that the parameter we are looking for could well be in the ai_playr.dll which is in the FS2002/Modules folder.Now, I don't know if you can decompile this in any way but hopefully someone can explain the inner workings. Maybe a HexEditor can help??Peter Leadbeater,Air Pierre, Warrington, UK.

Tried playing with the airfile, but no luck.Lowered braking to a minimum, played with some other things, give it more thrust below 50% N1 and so on.The airfile seems pretty wel be unused while on the ground.The solution is in one of the dll's. There are disassemblers, but I dont know about that much to be any help..I guess the answer is there.Johan[A HREF=http://www.phoenix-simulation.co.uk]Phoenix Simulation Software[/A]Unofficial PSS website:www.people.zeelandnet.nl/johd

I looked into ai_player.dll with an hex editor and it is definitly in there and more. There is notion of speed settings, and so.Also, there seems to be a AI DEBUG window, what gives a lot of information. Only how to open it isnt clear..We need a hacker!Johan

>I looked into ai_player.dll with an hex editor and it is >definitly in there and more. There is notion of speed >settings, and so. >Also, there seems to be a AI DEBUG window, what gives a lot >of information. Only how to open it isnt clear.. >>We need a hacker! Working on it as we speak - I have just found a DLL decompiler!!I'll be back - but tomorrow now :-))Peter Leadbeater,Air Pierre, Warrington, UK.

Man if you guys figure out how to change the speed and some of the flight characteristics of the AI folks that will be an incredible breakthrough. I can't wait!!!! I ususally don't use exression symbols or whatever they are called but this occassion calls for it. :-beerchug

>Any luck peter, In a word No!I have dissassembled the DLL and it certainly looks likely that the parameters are set from here for taxi speed; trouble is I haven't got the expertise to work out where/what to change.Hopefully someone with more know-how will read this and take over the reigns?Peter Leadbeater,Air Pierre, Warrington, UK.

Guest lmoelleb

How are the planes behaving in CFS?The DLL looks like it's shared between CFS and FS2K2. I do not have CFS, but since the DLL includes C++ classes and methods for handling formations, waypoints (not to mention something called a mission), I suspect they are the same.

>How are the planes behaving in CFS? >The DLL looks like it's shared between CFS and FS2K2. I do >not have CFS,No idea as neither do I :-))Peter Leadbeater,Air Pierre, Warrington, UK.