Sign in to follow this  
Sarge27

Is GPS illegal in commercial airplane?

Hi Micheal.Yes. You can use a handheld for enroute IFR navigation.However, for the approach segments you must have an IFR certified GPS if you are filing /GRegards,Jim Rhoads

apologies,but when i tried to post ,i kept on getting a page not available error message,so i had to use the back function..i went back to the forum list and and it also did not show the pasted message either..so i guess while the server was accepting my post ,it wasnt showing up..by the way the same thing has happpend again while i tried replyin to this message of yours..but i will leave it at one attempt to c if it gets thru anywaysbi bi kunal

some body mentioned that eventually some VORs will be turned off..well,i hope they keep them servicable..any of your guys ever heard of an electromagnetic storm?,when there is a violant occurance on the sun,often a solar flare pops out and comes towards us litle people on planet earth.They have been known to render satellites useless..i hope they consider this before turning the VORs off!!!

Guest cj_flys_wmu

Stephen,The issue of turing off the VORs as a primary source of navigation is a large one. I have read countless articles on this issue and the conclusion that I have came to is that as old as they are, the FAA will continue to operate them for a while (I have heard a forcast of something like 2010-15 until they switch to GPS or something else conpletely). All I can say is that I have just completed an airport design and operations class and it is amazing some of the technology that will be coming online in the next 15-20 years. Free Flight is definatly the talk of the industry. Many manufacturers are developing new ATC, transponder, and Smart Deck technology. A great resource for this is at NASA's AGATE website. Check it out, there is some really cool stuff being developed.http://agate.larc.nasa.gov/Take care,CJ StarrPPLInstrument Student

It is probably up to the carrier. I just recently flew on Southwest and noticed that a GPS is an approved device (according to Spirit,their magazine) except during takeoff and landing phases.Mark

Guest BrianC

AOPA had some news on this a while back: http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2002/02-1-159x.htmlThe June issue of Flying magazine has more details on page 31:[ul] [li]Some terminal VORs will be around until 2016. [li]Most others and many NDBs and ILSs will be out by 2011. [li]WAAS will become legal for supplimental guidance next year. [li]LAAS will first appear in some Cat I approaches next year and Cat II/III approaches in 2006.[/ul]Flying says that the DOT will be figuring out how Loran C fits into the future too.