Sign in to follow this  

Sorting in Excel...

Guest tcable

I'm working on the US Airways Schedule to agree with John S. other schedules (Feb 1-7, 2002)I have all of the Hubs in Excel. no problem :) Here is the data format: Date Flight No. Tail Dest Time Arrival 02/01/2002 1480 N107UW STT 11:15 CLT 02/01/2002 124 N108UW BOS 16:50 CLTI'm sorting Date, Tail# and Time. As soon as I add time, it goes wacky- no logic to the times. Cells are formatted as time, and when I sort by time first, it works. When I do not even include time as a sort, I get the same results as sorting with time in slot 3.Any ideas?Tim

should be sorting by tail number... then date... then time-j

Guest tcable

That is exactly how I do it- when the third sort is Time, it ignores it. If I sort by time first, it works, but everything else is out of order.Tim

so, you're excel sort dialog box looks like this?-j

Hey Tim?Did you ever figure this out? I think I may have....-j

Guest tcable

My sort looks exactly like yours, but it ignores time... If I include it third, the seqence is the same as no third sort position.WHat's your solution?Tim

did you remove the space in front of the time?if the space is still there, it will treat is a text... you would have to do a global replace (which you should do on the entire sheet anyway) to remove all spaces...ctrl h ... top line... hit the space bar once bottom line ... leave it blank... then click the replace all button....

When you are importing the file, why not just flag that column as time?Regards,Bob

because you don't need to if you just remove the space (and every column needs the spaces removed anyway).I don't know about you, but I keep the file in text format so that I can put it in ms word when needed to do global find/replace. It would be a waste of time to continually have to 'tag that column as time' when importing it. Excel is smart enough to automatically format the column as time if it appears to be a time value.-j

Guest tcable

You were right- it's the space.Oh boy, not to put all of these flights into order with the correct syntax!Tim