Sign in to follow this  

Compiling manually AFCAD TXT exports

Hi friends,I've done an scenery for my local airport (SAWH) that among other things is a bit displaced from where Microsoft have put the default one.I wanted to make the AI aircraft and ATC to utilize the new layout, so I've edited the original (MS) file in AFCAD to reflect the changes.In order to not overwrite the default BGL, I exported the TXT from AFCAD and compiled it with SCASM (as suggested in AFCAD docs), then placed the BGL into my airport Scenery folder and loaded the simulator.Here are my findings:1. The new gates and parkings appear among the original ones in the Select Airport dropdown list.2. You can select a new parking position and it works correctly.3. Runway start positions appear duplicated.4. ATC and AI still make use of the old data, not the new one.So I conclude the "new" facilites data is not replacing the "old" ones.The question is: Is there any way to exclude the old data without recompiling the default BGL, so I can distribute my scenery as a stand-alone add-on without requiring to the end user to compile the new facility data with AFCAD?Any help will be appreciatedThanks! :-)--Daniel R. Careri(please forgive my not very good english)

I've never tried this, so just a guess: Is your scenery folder layered above the Facilities entry in the Scenery Library?-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://members.aol.com/tgfltsim/index.htmlAlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://members.aol.com/alcohauler/home/alcohaul.htmlFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Yes, its layer number is 148 whereas Apt. and Facil. Data is layer number 3.It must have some way to fix this... I don't think MS was ignoring the fact that AI wouldn't work o.k. with user enhanced sceneries, considering they are claiming a new policy of better interaction with the users. ;-)--Daniel R. Careri

layer the other wya.make your airport at layer 2 and don't move the facil data at all

I guess that having "active" two AFD-files for the same airport can lead to any kind of problems like the ones you say.I have found that issue with add-on sceneries several times, and I never found a consistency in the way FS2002 handles two AFD-files for the same airport.I always ended up "killing" one of the duplicate afd-files.Creating an "exclude" bgl with SCASM would not help, because that command will certainly exclude runways, navaids etc, but it does not affect the "parallel" afd files that refers to them. Remember that a afd-file is just for information purposes (and ai traffic now), but the real data of a, let's say a VOR, remains in another scenery file.That is why if you edit a VOR in AFCAD, you are just changing what you see in "map view" but the VOR remains where it was.The safest thing is to distribute your scenery with the AFCAD file and indicate the user to backup the original afd-file that is going to be modified, export the airport, and import and save (replace with) yours. Alternatively, include the compiled new afd-bgl with your scenery, and instruct the user to backup the original afd-bgl, and replace it with yours, in this way the user does not need to use AFCAD.Hope it helps and will appreciate other ideas too.

Thanks JZS, I knew how the Exclude command works, I just hoped that there is something similar for AFD files.The idea of including a compiled new AFD bgl with the airport is good, but the user may loose other edited airports in the region, as the SAMESAFD.BGL that includes my airport also includes other several south american ones.I just thought that using the exact names inside the AFD files will override the defaults (something that I think worked in FS2000), but that demonstrated not to work.I will keep investigating the matter. Thanks again for the suggestion.--Daniel R. Careri