Sign in to follow this  

Newbie question about stalling...

OK, please don't flame me for being thick as pig Sh**te but I need to ask a question. :)When I'm in any of the Cessnas I can't seem to get about 6-7 thousand feet without it starting to stall. I've tried reducing the VS to help it climb, but no look. I have the sim set on hard so I can have crash damage enabled so I think maybe thats the problem. I'm sure a Cessna can climb higher than that in real life, but why not on my FS2002?Is it anything to do with the prop angle or mixture? I'm talking out of my ar*se here because I haven't a clue, but I have heard these things mentioned before. It's really annoying having the flight canceled by the AI ATC because I can't get to the height they set me at.Thanks for any help in advance.Bezza.

If you have not got the MIXTURE set to automatic - then you will need to "LEAN" the engine back once you get above about 3000' otherwise power will be greatly reduced until the engine eventually cuts out (if you can get high enough).

Yeah, thats what seems to be happening. Power from the engine slowly reduces, which of course stops the plane from climbing.How do you mean "lean"?I told you I was green! :(

I am not exactly an expert at it (and some here are) but....To lean the mixture (more air, less AVGas) press control-shift-F2 which reduces it gradually. c-s-F4 gives you "Full Rich" for use below 3000 ft (take off & landing). c-s-F3 increases gradually for use when you are descending.The mixture control can be seen as the red lever in the cockpit - so if something else is moving when you do control-shift and f1-f4. I have got the keys wrong .... :-hmmm .... forgot to mention - control-shift-F1 goes to full lean and kills the engine......

thats right,just lean it off with the increase of altitude.In real world,and on fs,you lean it off until the engine starts to run a little rough,then move the control towards rich slightly,experiment with it,when you get max rpm for the mixture setting,you`ve got it right!

OK, I'll try that. Thanks for your help! :)

Yeah, and try to achieve maximum EGT. Monitor the FF indication, when you're pulling the mixture lever far out, the FF might decrease quickly. Move the lever only in very small, careful steps, it's better to press it a bit in, be careful, don't let the engine shut down!Regards :-wave from EDDFhttp://flightsimmers.net/airport/etti/signature_pro.jpg

Thanks for your help, but you lost me at "Yeah,"...EGT? FF? Wat dem?:)

The right mixture of air/fuel at any given altitude will give you the maximum temperature of the exhaust gases. You monitor the Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge, leaning until it stops rising and begins to decrease -- then you've leaned too much so you enrich again until the needle of the EGT peaks back at it's maximum. To further complicate, the ideal mixture is actually (usually) a few degrees less than peak. So you lean until you find the setting that results in the highest reading on the EGT, and then you enrich (bring the needle lower again) just a little bit. While leaning, you will notice the Fuel Flow (FF) decrease, as you are "leaning" or decreasing the amount of fuel in the mixture.Altitude=thinner air. Less air means at a fixed mixture, the amount of fuel compared to the amount of air increases as the amount of air decreases as you climb. So you need to decrease the amount of fuel as you climb to keep the fuel/air mixture constant.michael