Sign in to follow this  

Adding non-ATC airport to traffic routes

I'm a newbie to traffic tools although I've been a flight sim user since v II on the Atari ST. Adding AI aircraft to my local airports has just consumed a week of my time, and I've enjoyed every minute. I've even spent several days writing an AI traffic editor which I'll be releasing as freeware shortly.Anyway, enough preamble. Just off the coast of Western Australia there's an Island (Rottnest). It has a simple landing strip, and after adding some taxiways and a parking area using Airport 2.6 I then used Afcad to add the necessary taxi points and GA ramps. So far so good. Problem is, any aircraft I assign to that airport fail to materialise anywhere in the FS universe. They're not on the ground at the departure airport, nor in transit, and they're certainly not on the island itself. I added a tower in Afcad and I added an ATC frequency in Airport, but I can't seem to find any info on this particular problem. I have managed to get traffic flowing to and from airports which already had towers, by the way.I'd like to add that Traffic Tools, Airport and Afcad are all fantastic pieces of software. Mine's not in the same league but hopefully people will find it useful.CheersSimon

Guest Hugo

Hi Simon!>I added a tower in Afcad and I added an ATC frequency in Airport, but I can't seem to find>any info on this particular problem. I have managed to get traffic flowing to and from >airports which already had towers, by the way.Simon, I assume you have created the Afcad overlay as per User Manual instructions at 39. Creating a New Airport From Scratch.From what you wrote, my understanding is that you add a the tower through the Insert button of the tool bar. This action, to my knowledge, will only assing the tower position (co-ordinates) that will be used when selecting the tower view in FS (Ctrl-s/s)What one needs is to declare a Tower Frequency, which is done by pressing the Lists button. Choose Comm Frequencies then Insert and there, pick Tower in the type window. A random freq. is proposed. Either accept or modify it and name it if you whish. Then press OK and Close the window. Save it. BTW, your Afcad overly name should be of only be a 4 letter group like YWHO (doesn't exist in FS world. ywhome, just won't work!!). This name is given when saving the seed reworked text file. Also don't forget to declare this new "ICAO" strip into airports.txt file in TTools directory. There you will need to add 4 entries separated commas (,). ICAO name (YWHO, in this case), latitude, longitude and strip height-ASL. The best way to get the exact figures for the last 3 entries is to open the Afcad file, magnify it so the center (pink dot) is large enough. Left click on it to turns it color to yellow then right click on it and choose Properties. A window with the 3 needed values will open. Just copy and paste them in the right order into Airports.txt. Save and Tcompile.If you're working on short strips (between 1500'and 4000'), you may want to give a look at this post in the same forum (sorry for the typo in the title and if it is a bit long too):http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID13>I'd like to add that Traffic Tools, Airport and Afcad are all fantastic pieces of software.This, I totaly agree with :DHope it helps. Contact me if needed.Hugo

>From what you wrote, my understanding is that you add a the >tower through the Insert button of the tool bar. This >action, to my knowledge, will only assing the tower position >(co-ordinates) that will be used when selecting the tower >view in FS (Ctrl-s/s) >>What one needs is to declare a Tower Frequency, which is >done by pressing the Lists button. Choose Comm Frequencies >then Insert and there, pick Tower in the type window. A >random freq. is proposed. Either accept or modify it and >name it if you whish. Then press OK and Close the window. OK, I might have misunderstood that part - I added the frequency in Airport, when I was designing the physical scenery for the airport. (FS only had a runway so I grabbed an airport map off the web and did the apron and taxiways)>Save it. BTW, your Afcad overly name should be of only be a >4 letter group like YWHO (doesn't exist in FS world. ywhome, >just won't work!!). This name is given when saving the seed >reworked text file. Yep, did that.>>Also don't forget to declare this new "ICAO" strip into >airports.txt file in TTools directory. There you will need >to add 4 entries separated commas (,). ICAO name (YWHO, in >this case), latitude, longitude and strip height-ASL. The >best way to get the exact figures for the last 3 entries is >to open the Afcad file, magnify it so the center (pink dot) >is large enough. Left click on it to turns it color to >yellow then right click on it and choose Properties. A >window with the 3 needed values will open. Just copy and >paste them in the right order into Airports.txt. Save and >Tcompile. Yes, I've edited Airports.txt and I used my program to add a schedule and several legs.>>If you're working on short strips (between 1500'and 4000'), >you may want to give a look at this post in the same forum >(sorry for the typo in the title and if it is a bit long >too): >>http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID13 That may be the problem - I'll read into it now. >>>I'd like to add that Traffic Tools, Airport and Afcad are all fantastic pieces of software.>>This, I totaly agree with :D >>Hope it helps. Contact me if needed. >>Hugo First I'll knock the tower freq out of the airport bits I added, and then I'll put it into Afcad (I read the bit in the manual which said that adding a tower just assigns the spot position, but I completely missed the part which allows you to assign a frequency in Afcad) If that doesn't do it I'll tweak the runway.Many thanks for the reply - I hesitated to ask, since the answer may be out there already. However, finding answers is not always easy ;-)CheersSimon