Sign in to follow this  
XWRed5

AI flight plans are being cancelled by ATC, why ?

During flights I can hear repeatedly ATC say that many of the AI's are 300' below their assigned altitude an later their IFR flight plans are cancelled.Is there something wrong with the worldAI plans that would cause this ? How would I go about fixing this ?ThanksSteveCYYZ

Nothing to fix. It's up to the AI to do its job.Did you save and load a flight later ? It seems it happens in those cases. I guess FS reloads the AI flight plans, calculates where the aircrafts are, puts them at their cruising altitude, but with no consideration to weather. Then the weather is loaded and they have to climb and/or descend according to the air pressure (even if they're above 18,000 feet with an altimeter setting of 29.92, they'll have to adjust if the outside air pressure is different). That's if you have some weather settings other than clear/no wind, of course. It doesn't seem to save AI traffic when you save a flight. So I guess that's why it has to reload it from scratch and that's why it happens. Maybe a solution would be to load weather settings first, then AI traffic. Food for thought for MS. All that is pure guesswork, I don't know the loading sequence of FS. It just seems likely.Now if you have noticed this at times other than when you load a previously saved file, I don't know why it happens.__________________________________________________________EricUPDATED: List of all airlines, aircraft manufacturers and aircraft types recognised by ATC:http://www.geocities.com/eric_2203/orhttp://ftp.avsim.com/library/esearch.php?D...atID=fs2002misc

Hi Eric Thanks for your reply, you've given me something to go on. :-)Two things I'll try differant.1. I have been flying a few of the same plans over and over so I have been selecting aircraft, loading a FS plan and entering the departure airport. Then I start FSMeteo.2. I have been having a problem starting the pss airbus engines with AI traffic set high. So more than a few times I have gone in and reset the AI slider to 30, started engines, then reset AI back to 70 or so. Maybe this isn't good ?SteveCYYZ

Guest Joshieca

I have noticed this also. It seems to happen more and more with aircraft that not built to be used 100% in FS2002. Just something that I have noticed.- josh

Hi Steve,I noticed this when the aircraft in question were not using the default airfiles/aircraft.cfg's. The AI "pilots" can't fly some of these aircraft properly and they porpoise up and down to the tune of 1000 feet or so causing ATC to correctly identify them as "at an incorrect level". Eventually ATC gets tired with them and their plans are cancelled. What happens next I don't know.WorldAI cycles the flight levels round between FL290 and FL390 (implementing the correct level for the direction of flight) but doesn't actually take the aircraft type into consideration. Sometimes I have seen 777's at FL290 and DC9's at 390 which isn't *very* realistic but compared to the amount of work it would take to implement I don't think there would be that much improvement.I'm not sure of any "real" solutions to this problem, other than to only use default aircraft and repaints or correctly merge the flight models of the default aircraft onto all your AI aircraft.Hope this helps,Ian