Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

AI aircraft crossing active runway

Yesterday was my first attempt using AFCAD and TTools. What a great set of tools. This stuff is very addicting. I downloaded and installed AFCAD map for SFO and a United airlines timetable to use with TTools. I was amazed at the number of aircraft - I had to slew out of the gate as two 737s had me locked-in :-) On my first attempt at landing the 737, I was struggling to keep it steady with the sun glaring in my eye, then right before touchdown - WHAM! Slammed right into a dash 8 that was crossing 28R to get to 28L. What a letdown ;-) Any way to prevent other aircraft from crossing active runways when an aircraft is near final? Thanks.

Suggestion to fix this problem would be to change the facility so that the runway closest to the terminal is used for departures and the farthest rw is used for arrivals. |^ |^ () Terminal | | | | | | ^ ^ 35L 35RThus if there is ever a lineup or crossing traffic, the farthest rwy (in the example, 35L) will never be blocked. If you are using a symetrical airport like KDFW you could enable it so either the east or west side of the field is used for landings and the other is takeoffs, i.e.|^ () () |^| Terminal || () || () |^36R 35LSo in this case, there will never be a crossing problem.The only time these solutions may not work is when you are dealing with sadistic airport layouts like Chicago O'Hare.Scott,

That sounds good. Problem with SFO is that there are gates on both sides of 28 L/R. Suppose I could just remove the mostly GA gates on the right side.

normally,the dash would be told by the ground controller as there is an aircraft(you in this case) on finalcould be some bug only at KSFO thoughregards,Seba

If you are using an overlay airport, aircraft from the other overlay are often not stopped at the other occupied runway.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://members.aol.com/tgfltsim/index.htmlAlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://members.aol.com/alcohauler/home/alcohaul.htmlFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

>normally,the dash would be told by the ground controller as >there is an aircraft(you in this case) on final >could be some bug only at KSFO though >regards, >Seba I've noticed that when an aircraft is crossing a runway that is in use, they get told to hold short "just a little bit late", which causes them to partially block the runway. - Martin

Martin,that could indeed occur when e.g. the ground controller is issuing commands to other aircrafts and is only able tro tell the aircraft crossing the runway to hold short when it already has entered the runwayregards,Seba

>Martin, >that could indeed occur when e.g. the ground controller is >issuing commands to other aircrafts and is only able tro >tell the aircraft crossing the runway to hold short when it >already has entered the runway >regards, >Seba I've noticed it will do the same thing to my aircraft - not just the AI aircrafts. However, if you don't want to get stuck in the middle of a runway, you can simply ignore the ground controller, and cross the runway. When you get to the other side, he will tell you to continue to taxi.- Martin