Sign in to follow this  

World Flight Plans

Ian, I really enjoy using your world flight plans, but I was wondering how close you are from releasing your new plans you talked about awhile ago. Look forward to seeing them soon! Thanks for the hard work, Shawn

Me too Ian - world ai transformed FS2K2! Hope you've now settled in and unpacked all the tea chests :-)

Hi all,I haven't achieved much recently on V1.1. I moved house OK, the bedroom is almost done (keeps the girlfriend happy). The 2nd bedroom (Ian's Study) hasn't even been started but I have set up my machine (I was getting withdrawal symptoms). The last few weeks, in between buying kitchens and bathrooms and making wardrobes and other "grown up" stuff, I've been sorting out my ADSL connection (weee) and my Linux firewall/gateway/domain controller/video player (MP3, DivX, DVD, VCD). That appears to be pretty much complete now. I slipped a few upgrades through the financial chaos of the move which means I have had to do some reinstalling. That's almost complete but I do now *have* to play with it for a bit (XP2100+ and GF4Ti4200, "Don't got near the computer!" "...but it's sooo smoooth..." ZZZzzzzzzTTT!).My biggest problem at the moment is that I don't have a chair in front of the computer. This makes using it a pain, either flying or programming. I'm also anticipating having to turn everything off for a week or so to redecorate that room. So time wise things are still a bit iffy.In terms of what I managed to get done before the move I've done a bit. The whole process is broken into 3 main sections.1) Find the data in electronic form.2) Extract the data into its individual flights.3) Generate TTools output, comprises :3a) Remove duplicates3b) Match outbound and return flights.3c) Fill gaps between the above matched flights.3d) Try to multi-match (tm :-)) any remaining unmatched flights.3e) Place all the flights in order to fill an entire day.3f) Convert to TTools output.I've completed 1 for everything, I'm adding Sabena, Ansett Australia, Meridiana and Airtours.I've improved 2 to get rid of code shares properly. I still need to do this for Meridiana and Airtours.3a) has been improved (corrected).3b) has been improved (slightly).3c) had been improved to give aircraft more time to turn around and is more strict regarding which flights to merge.3d) it was a nightmare to write, it never achieved a great deal anyway and is an equal nightmare to maintain. I've tweaked it but I'm scared to look at it again.3e) This is the biggest task still remaining. I've barely looked at it and need to spend much more time on it.3f) This has been improved. I now put the airline code and aircraft type in the registration field.I've prepared a new aircraft.txt file that's in alphabetical order.I've got some good sources for new timetables and am ready to update some of the data.I'm also investigating some of my time data (more specifically offsets from GMT) with an aim to improve the accuracy of it.I don't want to give times as I'll be wrong. Nevertheless I can assure you that I'm working on it when I can. It could be a week or a few months. It's probably going to be between those two, probably nearer a month.Take care,IanP.S. Don't stop downloading aircraft.

Great news Ian! Just goes to show what an incredible amount of hard work is involved. We all appreciate it. :-)

Ian, have you considered contacting the people at Project AI. I would think that with your flightplans, they could concentrate on building and painting the aircraft. Just a thought.

Greetings Ian,I have read alot of your posts and want to thank you for all your hard work in the FS community!A quick question.. I've been working on traffic for Air Canada Jazz and it's a nightmare working manually though the pages of timetables to get the flight information. When you say you "Extract the data into its individual flights" do you use a program to assit you? I can't imagine you work flight by flight typing out the huge amounts of data (like for the world flights). Is there an easier way to get the data from the airlines schedule into FS?ThanksJohn G.Quaziwww.flywest.ca - Promoting Civil Aviation in Western Canada