Sign in to follow this  
tgibson

Dual Runway Useage and Weather Findings

I am using several downloaded AFCAD modified airports that enable dual runways. First, let me say I am thoroughly enjoying these modifications. One of the things I noticed was what weather may or may not do to the takeoff and landing configuration of the airport. It seems if the wind speed isn't set above ~10kts, you may not get the takeoff and landing configuration you wanted.I tested this by stationing myself at a convenient location at the airport using the "Top-Down View" (CTRL-S) and adjusting the altitude to see the entire airport. I tune the tower and ground frequencies into the two radios, select Both, and watch the departing and approaching aircraft.Starting with either no weather or minimal downloaded weather, the aircraft used the expected departure runway but the approach runway may be 180deg from the wind.Adjusting the wind speed to above 10kts, caused no change in the departing aircraft but had some interesting effects on approaching aircraft. If the approaching aircraft had already declared their approach in the wrong direction, ATC cleared them to land out of the wind. Somewhere during the approach phase, ATC finally desides to change the runway to the proper direction. However, some aircraft in near-approach have already been vectored to the wrong heading and will try to land in the wrong direction. Tower clears them to land out of the wind, but when they either touch down or near touch down, tower denies landing and tells them to clear the runway. Tower doesn't tell them to go-around. The interesting thing is the aircraft lands, and immediately turns off the runway, even if no taxiway exists, and tower tells them to contact ground. Ground then directs them to a gate. The airport will finally operate correctly when the near-approach aircraft land and the far-approach near the airport.Adjusting the wind direction 180 degrees, caused some interesting effects on departing and approaching aircraft. Aircraft already directed to the departure runway continued to that runway even though the wind shifted 180 degrees, and tower authorized departure on that runway. Aircraft not already authorized taxi instructions, when requested would be directed to the proper runway direction. Approaching aircraft under tower control or near-approach continued to use the out of wind direction runway. Sometimes tower would deny landing and sometimes authorize landing downwind. The airport will finally operate correctly when all the now misdirected aircraft depart and the approaching aircraft land that are under tower control or near-approach.As a solution, I recommend when you are setting up you flight, after you download your weather, click local weather, and ensure the wind speed is above 10kts. This should force the correct departure and approach directions at startup. This will, unfortunately, not do anything for your destination airport unless you are lucky enough to influence the weather before being directed to a particular runway.As an aside on dual airport runways, I noticed Tower will allow your aircraft to do touch and goes on the departure runway. The approach runway is still used by the arriving aircraft. You can bounce all day (or until the gas runs out) on the departure runway and Tower will authorize your landings. Once you declare a full stop landing, Tower will direct you to the approach runway with all the other arriving aircraft.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

BTW, the 10 kt effect is caused by one end of that runway having ILS in the AFCAD file and the other end not. If you add a fake ILS at the other end of the runway(s), then the behavior will be correct no matter what the wind.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://members.aol.com/tgfltsim/index.htmlAlcoHauler Locomotive Page: http://members.aol.com/alcohauler/home/alcohaul.htmlFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___