Sign in to follow this  
ckukmale

AI Traffic Cruise Speeds

This thread in the main MS forum "AI Aircraft and what Ive done to make them better for m"raises some interesting questions about cruise speeds of AI aircraft and how they are defined.http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8Maybe this is the better forum to get an expert answer to the following:It seems we have 2 cruise speeds defined: one in the aircraft.cfg file and the other in the aircraft file that is disgorged by Traffic Tools.The experiments carried out by the first poster (in the MS forum) suggest it is the aircraft.cfg file which determines the speed at which the AI aircraft actually fly. So is the TTools speed only used to calculate journey time (and presumably time at which the AI craft appears at intermediate points on the route)?Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks ckfly, that is an excellent thread, which I missed while I was on holiday.It seemed to die before a final conclusion was reached on the reasons for the differences between what Stamatis and others observed, and also before someone published a nice convenient list of suggested settings :). If the aircraft.cfg values are tweaked for correct AI cruise behaviour, does this affect the normal hand flying behaviour? I'm not sure what function those lines in the aircraft.cfg file have under usual non-AI flying conditions. It hope it won't be necessary to keep a completely different set of aircraft for AI use (? although maybe it will be necessary to keep different models defined if different cruising flight levels are to be used so that the correct TAS results for that FL ?).

Hi there.I dont see a problem when the planes are flying at different speeds now. Those figures I made btw are a rough estimate as when you are flying with tail winds or headwinds the figures would change. But it works well for me. The aircraft dont seem to exhibit any problems as I think its the air file that actually defines how they fly. But if you for example set the speed in aircraft.cfg to only 100 knots for an example it would probably stall and crash not that Ive ever tried that mind. Still got to work on those learjets though as they are going way too fast. Craig Kiltie