Sign in to follow this  

Enroute Traffic ...? Or, how intelligent is the AI traf

Hi,I've read here that AI traffic happens only at 75nm(?) around airports.Okay, I imagine, I power up a 747 and follow an AI A340(-300) track, direct Lisbon-Miami (should not be much land on that route), departing about 15 minutes later than the 340. Using max cruise power, I should be able to overtake her on some 1000 ft relative altitude. Fine so far.But, altering the departure time, I should be able to overtake her right in the middle of nowhere (200nm water in every direction). Would it be displayed? Anyone tried this already?ToMey

Guest Stamatis

"I've read here that AI traffic happens only at 75nm(?) around airports."No, this is not correct. AI traffic is alive in a radius (or rectangle) of 80 nm around your aircraft's current position, not around airports."But, altering the departure time, I should be able to overtake her right in the middle of nowhere (200nm water in every direction)."Yes, you should.Stamatis

Hi ToMey,You are both right. AI Aircraft only fly within the 80 nm range around your current position. No AI Aircraft will EVER be see outside of that range.You can prove that by using the AIMap add-on and zoom out to the maximum range. You will see that there are no aircraft "out there". That is not because there is some kind of maximum range for AIMap to see.AIMap is not like real radar that has a maximum range because of a limit on how far radio signals can be received. The reason there are no aircraft "out there" that far, is because there is simply because...there are no aircraft "out there" that far! :)But keep in mind that range alwys moves with you. So if you fly out over the ocean or wherever, the only Aircraft you will see are those within your new constantly moving 80 nm circle.FS uses an algorithem that calculates where each flight SHOULD be at any particular time. As you are flying, FS constantly searches the database of Flight Plans and finds any and all that should be in your 80 nm area.That sounds like it would be a very difficult thing to implement but it really isn't magic at all. As long as the indexing is done well all the flight in a particular area can be found almost instantly. FS doesn't need to search the entire database of 23,000 flight plans--just those that are in a particular portion of the index.When it finds one, it immediately puts that aircraft into the flight where ever it should be at that time. If it is suppose to be at such and such altitude and on such and such course, it puts it into flight immediately at that point.Of course, that means if you follow that aircraft, you will constantly be within the 80 nm range, and you will see it thoughout your entire flight. But if you wait for it to go out of the 80 nm range, then it truly disappears totally--it is no longer flying.On the other hand, if you then fly into the area where that flight is supposed to be according to the calculations, then it will suddenly reappear at that point in it's flight plan and once again it will appear within your sight.Hope this clears up some things for you!Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)