Sign in to follow this  

An Open Call to Programmers...

The late John Stottlemire (Virtuallyjohn) was working on a project I had suggested a month ago, which may seem trivial - or even silly - to some, but may well have held some interest for many others.It occurred to me that having a way to use the output of FSNav (or any other planner!) exported to the FS .PLN file to create AI traffic plans visually might be of some benefit to those like myself who would like to add an even higher degree of realism to their AI traffic.Since John was close to 'cracking' the mystery of how FS's AI algorithim is used to dynamically send 'command vectors' to each AI a/c, this presented the possibility of possibly being finally able to actually program SID's and STAR's for specific a/c flightplans.Lamentably, all of his research into this possibility has gone to the grave with him...So, I am now making the concept I've envisioned public knowledge, so that perhaps some other programmer might take up the challenge and produce this...At the very least, even being able to 'visually' plan a particular flight (or series of flights) might make the task easier and more 'user friendly.'

You could try approaching Peter Dowson (he doesn't read the forums, otherwise he wouldn't have time to keep updating fsuipc.dll and all his other goodies!).

Guest DSN

Bill,I find this concept very interesting. Do you have any more information? If it is possible to understand the way ATC vectors aircraft, maybe it's possible to alter it as well. This may help with 2 and 3 aircraft landing at the same timethanks-David

>Bill, >I find this concept very interesting. Do you have any more >information? If it is possible to understand the way ATC >vectors aircraft, maybe it's possible to alter it as well. >This may help with 2 and 3 aircraft landing at the same time Unfortunately, no. I had suggested to John that since the Debug Mode can display the current 'commands' to any particular AI a/c, that digging into that process might yield the requisite knowledge to 'pop' new values into that specific memory location, in effect overriding the command FS's internal algorithim had calculated.It seemed to make sense to John and he began his investigation. Unfortunately, he didn't keep me up to date with the details of his discoveries as they occurred, other than to say he'd nearly 'cracked' the problem.The basic idea was to examine the raw assembly routine of the debugger .dll, and then write a small routine to 'intercept and trap' the data stream.Of course, all of the above was truly an offshoot of the original idea, which was simply to take the output of FSNav (or any other visual based flight planner) and turn the data into an AI flightplan. In effect, such would allow the user to generate a complete flightplan, using the cool map display of FSNav. :)