Sign in to follow this  
Guest mcleadbeater

Dual Runways

Guest mcleadbeater

Hi,I was playing around with the AFCAD file for Simllyer's KPHL (Philadelphia) last weekend and I discovered that the capability to open and close each end of a runway for both landing and takeoff as included in AFCAD v1.1 does not, in fact, work for parellel runways unless they are the same length.So, in the case of KPHL, I wanted to make 22R landing while 22L was takeoff. 4L would therefore be takeoff while 4R was landing. However, because 4R/22L is 1500 feet longer than its parallel brother, I ended up with an unholy traffic jam as traffic was landing on 4R and trying to takeoff on 22L!!Is there any way round this? I know you can alter the runway lengths, but I understand this affects the visual scenery. Many thanks for your help in advance.RegardsMike

Changing runway lengths in AFCAD does not affect visual scenery. As far as visual scenery goes, it will only affect the AI aircraft's takeoff roll start and touchdown waypoints.For KPHL, I split the difference of the runway lengths and made them equal, shortening one and lengthening the other. Closed 22R and 4R for takeoff. Closed 22L and 4L for landing. Moved each runway slightly so that the AI will start the takeoff roll at the proper point in visual scenery. AI behavior at KPHL now mimics the traffic flow of real life KPHL.

Guest mcleadbeater

Thanks- I will give it a go, although I am not sure that altering the runway lengths has no effect on the visual scenery. I am sure someone has raised this issue here before, and I once did this at EGCC and the runway lights disappeared.RegardsMichael

Guest mcleadbeater

Kevin,I have just tried altering KPHL along the lines that you said and I am still getting strange results. I think Bill Molony has previously warned on this forum against messing with the runway lengths.Anyway, would you mind e-mailing me your AFCAD file for KPHL? Then I can see how you did it.mcleadbeater@yahoo.comMany thanksMike