Sign in to follow this  
Guest jabberthecat

"Repeat period" - what happens if AI still flying when

Guest jabberthecat

I read some of the posts about planes filling up the parking and wanted to try this twist.1. I have been tweaking my download flight plans and have a nice selection of domestic flights/AI planes.2. I want to get them to fly more often, thus get at least some of them out of parking more often. Not to worried about realism, justwant More Planes/More of the time.3. If I set ALL FLIGHTS to Repeat = 6 Hrs I assume all the flights capable of 6 hour turnaround will fly 4 times a day. What will happen to flights that require 7 hours or 11 hours for roundtrip?Say for example flight 1234 takes 7 hours round trip KORD - KPHX and it is set to depart at 00:00 GMT, but has a repeat of 6hr. At 06:00 GMT will the flight not repeat from KORD because it is still flying or will the flying flight disappear and a new flight start from KORD?If the answer is no 2nd flight starts from KORD at 06:00 GMT then will one start at the next repeat opportunity 12:00 GMT ( 5 hours after the 1st one finished ? ) Thanks for you help,Myles

Guest RONVKING

Hi,If your aircraft cannot return in time then one flight will disappear.I don't know which one, someone else might know, but in your case of 6hr repeat, 7 hour flight then either the next repeat wont happen or the first return leg wont go. I think its the first opsion but not certain.Rgds Ron

Guest jabberthecat

Ron,Thanks for the info - I got curious and starting looking into testing my question. Here is my test case:AC#78,475UAL,50%,6Hr,IFR,03:49:00,05:32:22,280,F,0334,KDEN,08:39:58,10:23:20,290,F,0475,KONTI went to the gate at 3:48, 9:48, 15:48, 21:38 and sure enough each time this UAL 767 was there and started up her engines for taxi.This particular flight is 6Hr 34mins. What I don't know is what would have happened if I was at KONT waiting for UAL to come in for a landing. If you are right, then at 9:48 when the 2nd repeat started at KONT the inbound flight from KDEN ( the 1st flight ) would have disappeared and never arrived at 10:23. I should try to test that.Do inbound flights follow the decompiled ETA times that closely that I could sit in wait for a flight?Myles

Hi Myles,Your situation is interesting to say the least. But let me add some thoughts to it. Please note that I have not tested this--just tried to deduce what would happen based on knowledge of the AI Aircraft system as it is set up.First, almost no aircraft EVER completes a full flight plan. The only exception to that would be if you get in your own plane and follow an AI Aircraft throughout it's entire round trip flight--which would obviously be a very time consuming procedure! :)The reason I say that is because FS2K2 puts aircraft into their current position for the assigned flight plan ONLY while the aircraft is within approximately 80 nm of your aircraft. As soon as an AI Aircraft gets outside of that range from you, it immediately disappears--totally. It does not continue flying.FS2K2 uses an indexed database containing all flight plans. Any flight that is supposed to be within that 80 nm radius of you will suddenly appear "out of nowhere". It is inserted into your range at a calculated position based on approximately where it should be at that time--whether that is on the ground or in the air or whatever.Therefore, if I understand the process correctly, your scheduled flight would suddenly appear where it should be according to the overall flight plan, even if that might actually be physically impossible to do in the real world because of a longer flight.On the other hand, if you did indeed choose to do what I suggested above--actually follow the AI Aircraft whereever it goes--then I believe you would find that the aircraft will probably suddenly cease to exist somewhere along the line--just go "poof" right in front of your eyes.And that is because the AI Aircraft System chooses that method to get rid of flights that are not where they should be. You can see that happen at some busy airports where an AI Aircraft is scheduled to depart and is waiting at the hold short point. But it cannot get clearance to take off because of waiting for so many other AI Aircraft that are being given preference to land. Suddenly the AI Aircraft will suddenly just disappear.While I believe that would happen, nonetheless, I would love to hear the results of your experiementation with it. Let me know how it comes out.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Guest jabberthecat

... I figured if you were at an airport when a inbound 1st flight should arrive but might have been "knocked out" by an early "repeat" takeoff - it shouldn't matter because time and distance kept those 2 "virtual flight apart.Testing showed other wise. I went to KONT at 10:20 and waited for the returning 1st flight. It did not show anywhere. Maybe the earlier scheduled ( departing 9:49 ) "repeat" flight knocked it out? I should retest as this was only 1 test.Myles

In checking those times, don't forget to allow for the correct Time Zone and adjustments for Daylight Savings Time. Remember that the actual times in the Flight Plan are GMT time.Happy Flying!Bill MolonyAtlanta GA USAUnder the 27L Approach to KATL--the busiest airport in the world :)

Guest jabberthecat

Bill,that is a good point - I thought I was always dialing in GMT when going plane spotting, but maybe that is where I mad a mistake on themissing inbound at 10:23 GMT / KONT.- Myles