Sign in to follow this  
KevinAu

replacement files for PAI by david

they're really great:aircraft now have a much more realistic take-off rollI saw some people saying that they now touch down in the touchdownzone,any-one can confirm this?they cross the threshold at the right height (about 50ft), but then maintain this altitude for a while instead of continuing the descentis there any possibility you could fix this David so that they touch down in the TDZ??love them though

another thing:It's known when you you started a flight,the aircraft in the neighbourhood of the airport will be at a much too high altitude and will be unable to land.this normally only occurs at the beginning.I was planespotting at EDDF and after an hour an aircraft flew at about 10000 feet over the runway.I hope your files don't do anything spectacular to vertical speed?could the aircraft have a too low vs?

That seems to be major Bug in FS. I'm currently creating AFCADs for Project Airport's EDDF and so I did some longtime testings for my overlays. It seems that only a few planes are arriving at high altitudes. Mainly coming from the US or the UK. Aircraft coming from other directions land perfectly. I've tested some other german airports and I couldn't reproduce the Bug there.RegardsThomas

I think they fly way too fast. Remember, the AI will try to accellerate the plane until it reaches the setting in cruise_speed. That's 505 knots IAS for a B747! Only when descending through 10000 ft this will be reduced to 250 KIAS. On final approach this will be reduced even further, but then it's too late for a heavy jet to slow down. We should give them better brakes...I'm compiling a new cruise speed table for all the AI jets.ckfly

It's not only the speed. As I said on my installations (I checked two different FS installtions) it's depending on the direction they come from. Thomas

Hi,Yes, the direction from which they come is responsible for those missed approach. Why?Because, if there approach is quite direct they won't have enough time to slow down and descent. On the contrary, when they make an undirect approach with lots of turns, they have more time to descent.The main problem is that aircrafts start there descent too late.Moreover it is the fault of the FS2002 structure:when you start a flight , all the aircraft are at an assigned altitude which is often too high. Even if the plane is at 20 miles from the airport the plane will anyway start at its cruising altitude, namely FL3??. So it is too late to land.One other thing AI scheduler must think about is not to set up too high cruising altitudes. The higher they are, the more there are such missed approaches. To still have contrails, I would recommend the FL between FL300 and FL370.BTW, does the new airfiles solves the aircrafts:-too high vertical speed (4000ft/min is far too high)-their negative pitch while cruising (related to the next bug)-their excessive cruising speed? Greetings Minos

As far as I've checked it the problem is that they decent to some FL and then suddenly start again to climb about 3000-4000ft. Speed is fine and if they wouldn't do that climb they would land perfectly. I've tried to adjust the FL, but that didn't help. So I guess it's a small bug in the AI engine. Another confusing thing is that this bug seems to appear only on some airports.Thomas

As far as I can tell, when the AI aircraft materialize, they start at an altitude well below the assigned cruise, then immediately begin climbing towards the higher altitude. Once they get within @10,000 or so of that altitude, the ATC will finally begin assigning the lower altitudes for approach. If you have a slow climbing AI plane, then it will take longer to get within that window where ATC begins working them appropriately, meaning they are much closer to the airport now.If the AI comes from a direction that requires them to go past the airport before turning around for final, they stand a much better chance of getting down in time.The AI tries to climb all aircraft at 10 degrees nose up and 82% throttle position. For Freed's aircraft that I have working, that results in typically an iniital 3500fpm climb bleeding to 2000fpm and initial speeds of 250kts bleeding to 170kts by cruise altitude. The cruise speeds were not changed from the defaults of the typical 477kts. This is fairly easy to fix yourself by going into the aircraft.cfg and editing the cruise speed under the reference speeds section. I just use an E6B to create a table of indicated speeds versus mach number at various flight levels and assign a speed which will result in max cruise mach at the highest altitude I plan on assigning the particular plane.What I'd like to figure out is how to adjust the approach speed. The speed used between the AI Begin Descent and TD waypoints. Adjusting the stall speeds does not seem to do it.