Sign in to follow this  

Changing Radius of A/c for gate size? Any preprecaustio

OK let's say I wanted to change my aircraft radius to an X value (using AITM for eample), lets say 5 meters, the reason for it is so that this aircraft could use anygate from small to large whatever...1. What I would expect after change like this is that aircraft then would take on anygate that has radius 5m or more2. when making it's 360 to "taxi out" a/c could be almost on top of another, let's say in case of two 747 park one beside the other, both with radius 5m, in small gates like this that are close to one another, however the aircraft will complete it's 360 because it thinks it's 5m in radius so even though visually it looks like it passes through the other aircratt in fact as far as FS is concern it doesnot touch it because it has a radius of 5mWe know how sometimes aircraft will not be able to complete 360 because the gates are too close to one another and they think they will hit the aircraft beside them, would changing the aircraft radius affect it in the way describe above.Is the above what I should expect or are there possible other problems such as change in the way the aircraft flies that would prevent it from flying proparly and wouldn't land any more and always crush etc etc.?PS: I do not care for any visual aspect of what will it look like ie ( aircraft passing thoruhg one another like gosts) only care about the technical part of it and will it cause other problems not intended by this change.ThanksAndy

Guest Joshieca

On the surface it should work fine. I change all of my cargo aircraft to a size of 33m so that they will park in the cargo spaces regardless of if they are a turboprop, small jet, or 747. One thing you might notice is that at smaller GA only airports you will start to see larger aircraft showing up. Some of GA airports that have longer runways for example, but dont have larger parking spaces for jet aircraft, will all of sudden have these jet aircraft there because you set all aircraft to use a small radius size.Are you trying to do this globally or just at a few of your favorite airports? If its just a few, I would go into them with AFCAD and change the structure of those airports to fit your needs rather than doing a global aircraft change.[br][br][div align=center][br][link:members.cox.net/fstimes/wetimage.html]Click Here For Weather Image of the Day!

Thanks for your responce.What I am trying to do is to ba able to put more gates in the airports, below is an image of my CYYZ (one of two overlays) the problem I have is that in fact you could prabobally double the number of gates, but if I do I am afraid the aircraft will not get out, they will keep on getting stuck, so lowering their radious should help.The second pic is somebodyelse's modification (never mind the other gates they be other ovarlay... but as you can see he was able to put twice if not more gates that I have, except mine are all LARGE GATES, his are in mayority MEDIUM, I am afraid that if I was to use his AFCAD gates file my aircraft would keep on getting stuck because they would think they hitting each other so lowering Rqadius would help (I think, I hope) to make them think they are smaller then they are.As for large Jets using small GA Airports that doesnot have to happen because you decide what aircraft goes there (via FlighPlns), even though it was to happen I don't fly to these airport offten I am a heavy fun :-)Again thanks for your response if you have some other sugestions let me know.Andy

I would suggest that you experiment a bit. To my knowlege, they don't affect each other when they make that turn away from the gate. In fact, they will pass right through each other! However, if you are parked next to them they will wait for you to leave before departing, if you are too close to them.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

That is usefull to know, I knew that the AI aircraft will not turn around (do his 360) when there is for example a building (gate) in a way of its 360 so I though it might be the same when it comes to other AI planes near it.Well will have to investigate and see some more how they behave.I was just trying some easy way you know, kind of make all the aircraft 5m radius then heck there is no way they will run out of rum, I still park 'em so they look nice but it would save the problem of them not being able to turn around, something pretty hard to track, also when it comes to the paths that are left between gates or parking spots, you would not want an aircraft to stop and say : "I can not fit between those parked aircraft so I will wait here....forever and cause soem bakc ups :-)"Thanks for your info Tom.Andy

I have AI aircraft that don't have any problem doing 360 next tobuildings. The wings and/or tail just pass through the buildinglike it wasn't there.The only problem I've run across is an aircraft taxiing away fromgate and another aircraft using same taxiway to go to a gate.They stop nose to nose and just sit there. The way around that is toadjust your taxiways around gates so only 3 or 4 use the same taxiway.Or if you just let them sit eventually one will disappear and theother will continue on.

Guest Captain Barfbag

My experience is that AI aircraft will "ghost through" anything except your aircraft. They will wait for you on the taxiway and you will crash if you run into them.My guess is that the radius is used only to determine parking areas. It may be that the "contact points" data in the aircraft.cfg file determine when and where the planes will contact an obstruction. This is something else to play with in your spare time.

Radius is also used to determine how close they get to hold short points and how close you can get to one before you get a crash. I changed airplane radii(?) to get airlines to park at proper gates and I wound up with a SAAB340 with a radius of 23. It stops well back of the runway hold short points. I taxied up behind one and got an airplane crash way before I should have.

HA! Well better I will leave the radius alone then :-). Crush with other AC: this is the only option that is disable in my sim which is crush with other aircraft for the very reason that I also had some crashes and in spot view I didnot touch the aircraft yet I crashed so I say the heck with this options, I still move and do not hit them, but I do not like to crash after spending 30min+ starting engines, doing checklists etc. etc. and being all into the adventure and then you crush yet you didn't really hit anyone... Plus I use FSMaintnance so it would be too costly :-)Andy