Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

AFCAD question

Guest Stamatis

Hi,I would like your opinion on the following:I sometimes observe that AFCAD designers put one or two blue nodes after the "hold short" red node and before the runway node.Is that allowed? I always thought the red node must be the last node [/b]before[/b] the runway.I have noticed some strange behaviour when such blue nodes exist.Stamatis

Hi Stamatis,This is necessary due to a problem that was occurring in long lines waiting for takeoff. Occasionally an aircraft that was number 3 or 4 in line would be between the final taxi node and the hold node, and would get stuck there and never move. Adding a taxi node near the hold node allows it to proceed to the hold node. This is a rough explanation but its basically why they are there..I add them to all downloaded AFCAD files.CJ PuttKTPA

Guest Stamatis

Hi CJ,Thanks for the reply, I am aware of this problem but I believe its solution is the other way around: To solve the problem you describe, one must enter an extra blue node right before the red node, ahead of the last blue node in the taxiway, not ahead of the red node towards the runway?Someone correct me please?Stamatis

Hi Stamatis,You are correct..I explained wrong and was editing my post when you replied after doing a search on the subject. :)The taxi node needs to be just before the Hold node.CJ PuttKTPA

Guest Stamatis

So my question remains: Is it OK to put more taxiway blue nodes after the red node, in the space between the red node and the runway?Stamatis

It appears to be okay, as long as the red node is no more than 220 feet (or whatever the max value was) from the runway edge. After all, sometimes the taxiway does curve between the hold short line and the runway.

Guest Stamatis

Thank you Rachel.In my experience, when such node(s) exist I often encounter strange behaviour, e.g. the aircraft aligns itself with the runway heading when it reaches that node, well before reaching the runway itself, and takes off on the grass, etc.I will check the docs more thoroughly in case Lee covers this subject.In fact, I should have done this before I posted my question :-)Stamatis