Sign in to follow this  

Problem with KMSP AI Aircraft

Hi all!I downloaded the NorthWestern AI Flightplans and installed the AFCAD file for KSMP. I am noticing a very odd behavior of the arrival AI. They are crashing into the ground well before the start of the runway, and yet, the GA aircraft land beautifully. Also, the departure AI, when they get clearance, only use about a fifth of the runway before they are in the air.I believe the aircraft in question are Airbus 320-200's. Has anyone else had this problem? I have thoroughly searched the forum and haven't found a solution. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Guest Stamatis

Most probably the airfile used for that A320 is not appropriate for AI Traffic flying.Stamatis

Most airfiles meant for user flown aircraft do not perform well as AI aircraft. For example, if your A320-200 is the Mike Stone one, you should create a version for AI use which uses an airfile such as the one from the default 737 or better yet, use the one from the version 2 flight dynamics download for PAI aircraft by David Freed. The MS A320 behaves lousy out of the box as an AI aircraft.Create a new aircraft folder, copy over the panel, textures, model, sound and aircraft.cfg file. Put the new .air file in the folder. Delete everything in the aircraft.cfg except for the title, general, lights and contact points sections. Give it a different ui name to separate it from the original and make sure you have the correct airfile callout. Select it in msfs to make sure it works and to get the airfile data into the cfg. Use this aircraft as the AI version of your A320-200.

It works now. Takeoffs still seem to be a bit short, but they are landing right on target!Doug

Guest Stamatis

Doug,Please tell us what did you change to accomplish this improvement?Stamatis

Very easy:1. Made a backup copy of the .air file in the Airbus 320-200 folder (never hurts to make a backup!)2. Made an extra copy of the default Boeing 737 .air file and renamed it as the original .air file found in the airbus 320-200 folder3. Copied the renamed .air file to the Airbus 320-200 folder and clicked 'yes' when prompted to overwrite the current .air file.4. Started fs2002, camped out at KMSP, and watched the planes come in to land. A beautiful sight!

Guest Stamatis

Ok, so you are using the default B737-400 air file instead.Thanks!Stamatis

Yup. I don't fly the heavies much, so I didn't feel like making a whole new aircraft just for AI. I am perfectly content with flying my Baron!