Sign in to follow this  
MikeAdamo

A Question About ATI

I currently have FS2002 running on a:Windows 98 SEP3 - 1.0 ghz512 megs of DDR RamSoundblaster Live sound cardRadeon 8500 LE 128mb DDR with Omega DriversMy question is this: I've seen many screen shots of Radeon graphics but come nowhere close to the quality seen. Can anyone 'tell me' how the graphics should be configure and how the card should be tweaked so that I too may experience the quality I've seen with others.Here's what it looks like currently:http://www.buckeyediscus.com/fs2002/private/test.jpgThank you in advance.-j

i am running a p4 1.5 w/1 gig of ram and a ati radeon 8500 le w/128 mgs ddr i installed the latest drivers from ati 2 days ago. i run most options near or completely maxed.have not tweaked anything pertaining to card.screenshots attached.don

I normally would never "bump" ... but I could really use some assistance on this one.-j

>i am running a p4 1.5 w/1 gig of ram and a ati radeon 8500 >le w/128 mgs ddr >>i installed the latest drivers from ati 2 days ago. i run >most options near or completely maxed. >>have not tweaked anything pertaining to card. >>screenshots attached. >>don Hi Don,love your screen shots. Could you tell me where and how you got that awsome aircraft? It looks like a Baron...could you tell me where to get it too?Also I have the Radeon ATI 8500 64 meg Dual display and I love it. My problem is a get a slight "jiggling" or "shimmering" effect from the sides of the buildings and off the tees when I fly. I know how to set all the sliders and they are all about maxed in the hardware profile. I run the resolution at 1152 and it works great with FPS rarely below 16 and usually locked at 20. CAn you tell me this...do you feel that more CPU RAM is worth the $$$? I currently have 512 DDR Ram and an Athlon 2Ghz. i thought my ram was plenty but your screen shots look super. I know you have more ram on the VCard which helps but i was wondering about the effect of the system ram and what you thought it does for MSFS.Please tell me about the aircraft too.JoeKMCO near Disney World

joe,the aircraft is the archer2 from dreamfleet. i think it was about $19.00 or so. i didn't really pay any attention when i bought it. i would be a bargain at $100.00 it is my favorite fs2002 aircraft just edging out the fsd commander 115.as for your questions about ram vs cpu. i am not a computor guru and have no idea about how to answer you. i do know this, i bought my ram for less than $125.00 after rebates and figured it was foolish not to fill it with ram for that price. whether it really helps or not, i don't know. i have my fps locked at 20, and as i said earlier most settings maxed or near max. it's smooth as silk no matter where i am but most of my flying is in alaska.i wish i could be helpfull but i just fly the aircraft, in the sim and in the real world. i know very little about 'puters.don

>joe, >>the aircraft is the archer2 from dreamfleet. i think it was >about $19.00 or so. i didn't really pay any attention when i >bought it. i would be a bargain at $100.00 it is my favorite >fs2002 aircraft just edging out the fsd commander 115. >>as for your questions about ram vs cpu. i am not a computor >guru and have no idea about how to answer you. i do know >this, i bought my ram for less than $125.00 after rebates >and figured it was foolish not to fill it with ram for that >price. whether it really helps or not, i don't know. >>i have my fps locked at 20, and as i said earlier most >settings maxed or near max. it's smooth as silk no matter >where i am but most of my flying is in alaska. >>i wish i could be helpfull but i just fly the aircraft, in >the sim and in the real world. i know very little about >'puters. >>don Hi again Don,thanks for the info on the aircraft, I am going to get it for sure.I solved the shimmering tree problem. I unfortunately had to uninstall the file MStrees2.zip that was an avsim DL. Don't get me wrong, the tree and growth renderings were beautiful. The author of it wrote me and said "he is aware of the problem" but due to MSFS code it (shimmering) goes with the territory." I may try it again but I treid another tree file called conifertrees.zip and I have no problem with it.Anyway take care.JoeKMCO Near Disney World

Hi John,I've got a Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO which is one of the first generation Radeon's if memory serves. The two things I can recommend that will probably give you the results you're looking for are:Omega Radeon DriversOmega drivers are "game" optimized versus "benchmark" optimized which means many of the most popular "tweaks" are already done for you. I've been using these drivers exclusively for the past few months and can't imagine using the (many times buggy) "official" ATI drivers. Installation is a breeze and I have yet to have any system issues related to these drivers (i.e. crash to desktop, FS2K2 crashing). You can find these drivers Rage3D TweakerThis is by far the best utility I found for fine tuning my Radeon. Here's the blurb from their website:Rage3D Tweak is a multi-language Radeon Tweaker designed to fit right in with the other ATI option tabs in the Advanced Display Properties accessed through the Control Panel. It allows access to Registry Tweak options, Custom Display Modes, Refresh Rates, and Overclocking all through an easy to use interface. For those requiring instant access to all the tweak options, a handy icon on the task bar can be enabled for quick access to all three tweaker tabs. Comprehensive html, outline based help is available through the standard "?" icon in the display tabs and the help buttonWhile it may take a bit of getting used to, once you get the hang of this utility, fine tuning your video card will be a snap and the results will be breath taking. You can download and read more about this utility [link:www.rage3d.com/radeon/r3dtweak/]HEREGive these a try and post your results here!!Here's an example of what things look like now that I've got things tweaked the way I like it!!

I'm sorry Mike. I read your message last night and there was no NEW information in it (as a matter of fact, it appears to be nothing more than a copy and paste of a previous message you posted).As stated in the original message, I am using the Omega Drivers (which, in my opinion are very unstable. I now get GPF's while under ATI drivers I do not). I have also been using the Rage tweaks. Post the results? Look at my original message.-j

I have a P4, 1.7ghz, 512 Mb SDRAM, with a Radeon 7200 (64Mb SDRAM AGP) as the primary display adapter. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results, and I've done no tweaking to the card and use the latest ATI drivers for it. I've attached 2 screenshots below. As far as shimmering, do you have MIP maping enabled in MSFS?MikeKOCFhttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...07f2df3a2bd.jpghttp://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...08b2e170553.jpg

Hi John,Sorry, missed the part about you already having the Omega drivers loaded and no, I didn't just copy/paste, I typed up a fresh version all by myself :-lolSorry I couldn't be of any more help!!Good luck!Mike

>joe, >>the aircraft is the archer2 from dreamfleet. i think it was >about $19.00 or so. i didn't really pay any attention when i >bought it. i would be a bargain at $100.00 it is my favorite >fs2002 aircraft just edging out the fsd commander 115. >>as for your questions about ram vs cpu. i am not a computor >guru and have no idea about how to answer you. i do know >this, i bought my ram for less than $125.00 after rebates >and figured it was foolish not to fill it with ram for that >price. whether it really helps or not, i don't know. >>i have my fps locked at 20, and as i said earlier most >settings maxed or near max. it's smooth as silk no matter >where i am but most of my flying is in alaska. >>i wish i could be helpfull but i just fly the aircraft, in >the sim and in the real world. i know very little about >'puters. >>don Don,I got the Dreamfleet Archer software CD today from Flight1 and loaded it up. Hopefully I am missing something. Here is the problem. I fly using a dual monitor setup with outside front view on one monitor and the instrument panel and other 2D dropdowns on the 2nd monitor. The Archer is not allowing me to "undock" the views and I was wondering if I may be missing or misunderstanding something before I try to return the CD for a refund. Can you help?ThanksJoe