Sign in to follow this  

Multiple crossing runways

Is there anybody who knows how to activate multiple Runways at an Airport with crossing Runways (e.g. Chicago, San Francisco, Amsterdam etc), so that FS2002 chosses the right one depending on the wind direction?I have a special case for Amsterdam: having one wind direction (N), one RWY is used for landing (19L), two others for departures (19R + 9). But only one side of each runway is used for departures, the other side (having an ILS) is used for landings.This is so very complicated, I hope you get what I want to say.Happy for every answer, Gilles

Hey GillesSometing about your question, first Rw19L is only for takeoff and NEVER for landing,Rw19R is normal only for landing and sometime when other runways are out off service and sometime in the night this runway is in use fore takeoff.Runway 06 only for landing and not for takeoff.Runway 09 only for takeoff and not for landig.Runway use on EHAM:Landing:19R-27-06-01R-04-22 and next year 18 (about 1.5 mile W off 19R) Takeoff:01L-09-24-22-04 and next year 36 (about 1.5 mile W off 19R) Then you have 3 parallel runways 01L-19R 01R-19L 18-36What about your next question you want 3 runway in use,i think you need overlays make it white AFCAD for this. Jan EHAM

It just takes some experimentation with AFCAD. I set up SFO to work pretty close to the real world which is complicated by the fact that the aircraft often take off not on the parallel runways, but on the runway that is 90 degrees off from the landing runway. It's very difficult, if not impossible, to get the runways to behave exactly like real life but you can usually come pretty close. You will definately have to figure out overlays and you will have better luck if you set up each runway as either a landing runway or departure runway and not both, especially at very busy airports. The way I set up LAX is 2 runways used for landings only and two runways used for departures only and it works very well with extremely heavy traffic volume.Matt

Hi Gilles,it depends on what you're happy with. Modifying the existing airport without using overlays is possible up to using a different runway for landing and departing aircraft.I did this for the default scenery EHAM plus gate modifications (http://ftp.avsim.com/library/sendfile.php?DownloadID=20731) and it works quite nice, in that -just as in real life- sometimes 06 is used for landing and 19L for takeoff (and other non-parallel runways for different winds). If you want more than two active runways you *need* to use overlays. This is rather tricky and for EHAM will most likely not give the desired result anyway - configurations where 3 runways are used at EHAM in real life are only possible in low wind conditions, and AI traffic messes up in low-wind anyway (it has a preference to use only 1 runway for takeoff and landing then!). Like Matt said - it's next to impossible to get it right in all circumstances.Veel plezier!Vince

Hi Seba!Glad you're happy with your edits! I would like to keep GA traffic confined to RW 22/04 like you did, but I wouldn't choose for your other configuration.I must say that I am not an expert on all possible EHAM runway configs, but I have seen my share IRL. I have rarely seen 4 runways operate at the same time, 3 max. This is in part due to noise abatement regulations (not modelled in FS). Also, the difference between 1, 2 or 3 runways in use depends both on wind strength and amount of traffic (also not modelled). Some I have seen or know that exist:1 RWYRW24 only for landing and takeoff (strong southwesterly winds)2 RWYsRW24 TO, 19R for landing (most common I believe)01L TO, 06 landing (also common)3/4 RWYsRW24 TO, 19R and 27 (and 01R for one aircraft) for landing (I am assuming that you mistakenly switched 09 and 27 when you said 27 was closed for landing and 09 for TO)The most impressive thing I saw a couple of weeks ago - the last mentioned config was in use, and I saw an aircraft apparently approaching RW27 but it was way too high. Suddenly it turned and landed on RW24 in between a number of takeoffs there. Great sight.So - given the complexity of the real life situation, true realism isn't achievable in FS2K2. Given that, I'd rather choose the more simpler compromise but that's me.Happy flying! Adios!Vince

well,that's one thing I indeed forgot to mention:at EHAM usuyally there or two or three active runways,only four runways with very heavy traffic,but that doesn't take away it does happen :)well,all the bestSebastian

I think I have a fix for you. See my post on the "Activated 2 runways, but ATC will only let me use one" thread above. (And perhaps someone could show me how to link to a post - I couldn't make it work using html in preview...)Basically, my technique involves using AFCAD to trick ATC into thinking all rwys are the same length (for a given overlay) which then allows ATC to choose based upon wind. It's not perfect, but nothing else with AI is either... it works, you just have to understand the limitations.