Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ideas

Activated 2 runways, but ATC will only let me use one.

Here is my question... I used afcad and Ttools to open a second runway at KOLM. There is traffic that uses one runway and other traffic for the second runway. But when I start a flight at the airport it will always tell me to go to one runway instead of the other. This is regardless of wind direction, etc. I have the airport set up as KOLM and 2OLM. I followed the instructions complete from the AFCAD readme. When I start at another airport and fly to KOLM or 2OLM it tells me the correct runway use.Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix for this?Thank you for the tips....

MS Tower will always direct to the longest runway regardless of wind condition. It will use the appropriate end of the longest runway, however it will still be a crosswind.I don't know how familiar you are with AFCAD, but here's a rough explanation of what I've done to partially cure this problem: I have molded KPDX using real world flight plans and the ProjectAI radius method of gate assignments. Concourse D/E, Rwy 28R/10L, and Rwy 3/21 are on the KPDX file. Concourse C/B/A, Rwy 28L/10R, and Rwy 3/21 are on the 2PDX overlay. The trick to getting MS ATC to assign Rwy 21 is to make AFCAD think the length of 3/21 is the same as that of the other Rwy in the respective overlay. For example, the 2PDX overlay has both 3/21 and 28L/10R both listed as 11,000' and the KPDX has them both as 8,000'. The rwy in the scenery appears the same, it's just that ATC now thinks of it as a different length.This trick works fine for t/o because the taxiing a/c follow the AFCAD nodes. However, a/c landing on 21 will land half the difference (or so) short of the rwy. For a/c landing KPDX and assigned 21 they theoretically land (8000-7000)/2 = 500' short because (I believe) the landing a/c calculates the landing target based upon a setback from the rwy center position equal to length/2. Knowing that even AI a/c land beyond the numbers means that the 500' difference doesn't look bad at all. However, a/c which are assigned to my 2PDX overlay have a theoretical target of (11000-7000)/2 = 1500' and those do appear as "land short incidents." This primarily occurs with the Horizon DHC-8

Guest Ideas

If you go to KOLM it will not send you to 2OLM's Runway, try going to ICAO 2OLM.