Sign in to follow this  

Adding Runways

I would like to modify an airport so that there will be more than one runway open for takeoffs and landings. Is anybody familiar with a way to open up another runway? Perhaps I could make one runway for takeoffs and one for landings? The problem I'm having is that the lineups for takeoff with AI traffic are pushing 30 minutes + at some times of the day.Thanks,Michael W.

Get program called AFCAD, you can find here at AVSIM. You can set one runway for takeoffs only and one for departures only which should help.Matt

Thanks for the help. Got it working now. This shotens up the waiting time for takeoff a little.

Guest jkramer51

You can also, have overlays and spread out your traffic over 2 or more runways. ie KDFW I have 1 overlay for 17C/35C for landings, t/o on 17R/35L. 1 overlay for 18R/36L landings, t/o 18L/36R. I also made one for Fedex using 13L/31R & 17L/35R. This method works well for aiports like KLAX, KDFW, KATL.John

If the runways are of similar length (less than 10%-15% difference) then you can also use AFCAD to trick FS into thinking both are the same length. For example, if KABC has rwy 9/27 - 11,000' and 18/36 - 10,000' then you could set the length of both rwy's to 11,000' in AFCAD. This does not change the way the scenery looks or how the aircraft you are flying operates - it only affects how AI aircraft operates. FS assigns traffic the longest runway regardless of the wind, however when both are exactly equal then wind direction becomes a factor.For taxi/takeoff, AI follow the nodes on the ground, so the extra 1,000 on rwy 18/36 in the above example would not affect departures. Landings are different. Most AI aircraft land about 15% down the runway, so the "extra" 500 feet (the 1,000 ft is split between both ends) won't be a factor - the aircraft will just land closer to the numbers. The 15% number is rough and is smaller proportionate to approach speed (GA aircraft may appear to land short). Despite the flaws, I think it is definitely worth it.I base at KPDX and have 28R/10R - 8000' and 3/21 - 7000' both assigned to overlay KPDX and both set in AFCAD to 8000'. UAL, COA, DAL, AWE, TWA, and GA are assigned to this overlay. A second overlay, 2PDX, has 28L/10R - 11,000' and 3/21 - 7000' both set in AFACD to 11,000'. QXE, SWA, ASA, NWA, FDX, and UPS use 2PDX. The "extra" 2,000' - (11,000-7,000)/2 - cause some QXE flights to land short of 21 when the winds are out of the south. I keep meaning to try a more moderate length for this runway but have not gotten around to it (I try to fly every once in a while ;)). I also keep meaning to add a third overlay so that heavies will only operate off 28L/10R.Good luck! It can take a lot of time, but there's nothing like seeing your home airport work liek the real thing.

Guest Stamatis

"The "extra" 2,000' - (11,000-7,000)/2 - cause some QXE flights to land short of 21 when the winds are out of the south."Can't this be fixed my moving the Glideslope transmitter accordingly in the AFCAD file (not in the bgl file, of course!)Stamatis

Does AI traffic follow the glideslope? I was under the impression that FS used some sort of an algorithm to plot the landing path that was based upon the runway location

Guest Stamatis

"Does AI traffic follow the glideslope?"I would have thought so. Otherwise, why include it in the AFCAD file?I cannot think of another use/reason.Stamatis

I thought the glideslope was included for UI aircraft - so that you could design your own airport and facilities. Again, just a guess.

Guest Stamatis

Oops! You lost me here... What exactly is "UI aircraft"?Stamatis

UI = the planes that you fly; that are controlled by the user.

Guest lmoelleb

>"Does AI traffic follow the glideslope?" >>I would have thought so. Otherwise, why include it in the >AFCAD file? >I cannot think of another use/reason. >As far as I remember, the AFCAD info is what is displayed when you click an airport in the map view - so that's a good reason for the data to be present even if AI ignores it. :)/Lars

Guest Stamatis

If that's the case then I can assure you that the glideslope (and all navaids) in an AFCAD file has absolutely nothing to do with real the scenery and its navaids. This kind of data resides only in the scenery (*.bgl) files.But Lars (in message #11) has just given us an explanation of why navaids may be included in the AFCAD files, even though AI may not use them. So I guess my suggestion of moving the glideslope to compensate may finally not work. We will only know for sure if we try it.Stamatis

Cool! Glad I learned something; thanks fellas!Try the identical runway length technique in AFCAD - I think you'll like it.

Guest Captain Barfbag

The AI algorithm in FS2002 needs to work for visual approaches as well as instrument approaches. Since the AI aircraft have "perfect vision" and are not limited like us (and real pilots), I'd assume that Microsoft would use the same algorithm for landing all AI aircraft.Instead of making all the runways longer, why not use AFCAD to say they're shorter? That way the planes would land further down the runway rather than short. AI planes seem to have remarkably good braking ability, and seldom take more than a third of the runway to get down to taxi speed. As a side note, if planes landed further down, they would be closer to the exit taxiways in many cases, which would ease the congestion problem caused by getting arriving flights off the runways.