Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

AFCAD Layer Help

I have made a layered AFCAD for simflyers PHL so that all commuter aircraft use the shorter runways as in real life. The problem I have is that the aircraft only use a couple of gates. I have many spots available. When an aircraft lands it disappears from the runway. When I land it always assigns me to one of two gates. Can anyone help me with what I have described. It may be more info is needed but this is the basics of my problem.Thanks in advance Andrew

The first thing you should check is the reference point of the overlay. When an aircraft lands it will go to the overlay with the closest reference point, not the overlay it is assigned to.Matt

Hi Matt, Thanks for the reply. Yes I made sure the reference point is on that side of the overlay. I had learned that lesson on another overlay I tried. I really cant figure out what the problem is. I havent done many overlays but this problem is unique to this airport.Thanks Andrew

Guest Captain Barfbag

You may have a connection point problem. If you have two connection nodes very close together, they may seem to overlap. Zoom way in with AFCAD and note whether the light blue lines actually join within the larger blue circles of the overlapped nodes. If the lines don't join, there is no connection. Typically, I try to avoid overlapped nodes so I don't get this problem.If you place your aircraft at one of the gates that does NOT get used, can you get a Progressive Taxi path to the active? Try switching the wind direction and make sure you can get to both ends of the runway in question.Also remember that FS2002 will assign aircraft to parking (both on startup and after landing) based on the order in the Lists-Parking table in AFCAD. If the first gate is the "best" size and not in use, the next aircraft to be assigned will always go there. If that gate is taken, the aircraft will be assigned to the second gate. FS2002 will go down the list and use the smallest size gate the aircraft will fit in, but in case of ties it always uses the same order. So, if you have 10 identical parking spaces and only 1 or 2 aircraft, most of the spaces will never be used. Radius AFCAD makes good use of this feature to customize parking by aircraft "size" which is assigned by airline rather than purely by the physical size of the planes.