Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

New to Ttools - A/C never change heading....

I decided with the recent purchase of Lago Ultralights, I was going to create some AI tracks with TTools. My goal is simple... I want the aircraft to fly a route from Napa (KAPC) to Bucannan (KCCR) and back.I can get the AI aircraft to load at Napa. They appear at the set time, taxi to the active, and take off and arrive at their assigned altitude and cruise speeds. And they keep flying off, maintaining the runway heading....Other (existing) AI aircraft like the Piper have no problem following their tracks, but I've tried everything, including:Making the flights IFRUsing different cruise altitudesUsing different airports (I tried KSTS)Allowing plenty of time for the turnaround (TTools calculates the flying time at 30 minutes)I don't receive any errors during compilation, and as mentioned above, everything appears when it should. The A/C just don't turn.Can anyone offer any suggestions? Must I do something to the .air file or the aircraft.cfg?Looking forward to some help... I'm late to Ttools, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun once I get it working....Thanks and Regards,-John

I'm guessing it has something to do with the air file or aircraft.cfg. Those have to be tuned properly to get aircraft to work good as AI planes. If not, then you will have problems such as them not landing. Not sure how to fix.Matt

I'll be testing that theory tonight by substituting the Piper on my AI tracks. I'll have to figure out what it is in the .air file that throws off an aircraft's ability to turn. Perhaps Ultralight's are just too slow to serve as good AI aircraft, but the AI engine does a fairly good job of maintaining assigned altitude and cruise speed. I was able to fly easily in formation with Lago's Cosmos and Quicksilvers.... Sure beats multiplayer, and those AI pilots don't talk back :)-John

Thanks...I checked the A/P settings last night, matching them up against the Piper. But I still believe I'm missing something. In a few hours, I'm going to compile the same flight plans with the Piper....If the Piper works, I will "tweak it" a bit to give it the same cruise speed and stall as a typical ultralight. If it quits working, that may prove my suspected theory that the AI engine can't manipulate slower A/C. If it keeps working, then it may point to an .air file discrepancy of some type. I know the .cfg files seem right on...I figure there's a solution for every problem. I'll figure it out, unless someone here says "I've seen this before"......-John

Success!In addition to the regular autopilot entries, an entire record (1199) was missing from the .air file. Once I added that, I was in business, and my collection of ultralights completed their routes...-John

Interesting, I thought I read posts where some Aero types felt that section 1199 wasn't being used in FS2002.

I was one of those who thought that section 1199 wasn't being used. Perhaps MS has reserved it for AI flight handling. Now that I know it's importance, I plan on adjusting some of the parameters there to see what impact it has on aircraft performance. It was fun to get this all working. My flight tracks have two Quicksilvers and two Trikes leaving 60 seconds apart. It's a hoot to watch them all line up at the active, then take off towards Concord. It's only a 15-20 minute hop, and I usually follow in one of Lago's trikes. I'll be posting some nice formation shots soon.-John

Maybe I download an ultralight and have it clog up a busy airport!!:-lol