Sign in to follow this  
Guest Grunt

FS2002 cities - Need a bit of help (Long Post)....

I need a bit of help from folks on the forum.... FS2002 has some cities which are not well represented in terms of ground textures and/or autogen coverage--some appear too small, some (like Carson City, NV and Koblenz, Germany), are missing altogether. To a certain extent, some folks have helped resolve this problem by using FSLandclass... But there are still large areas of the world where cities are not well depicted--Mexico City, Shanghai, Frankfurt, etc.... Others might prefer a simpler solution (and a free one, at that)I now have a means (thanks to the brilliant contributions of Orlando, Paul and Jean-Pierre) to update city textures on the fly, without having to obtain landclass data from outside sources. For the time being, I'm strictly working with city textures, only because they present the easiest way to measure the speed of my process and ways to automate it. I'm looking for suggestions from the forum members--known cities that are either missing or not textured to match the size of their real life counterparts. From there I'll pick the two or three with the most "visual" impact for my purpose, and I'll build a new landclass file, & upload it here. My landclass updates will be strictly that--no buildings (other than autogen), no airports, roads, etc... These files will be quite small (less than 4K), but I've already seen the results--and they astound. I'm not really interested in redoing textures for cities that are slightly too small in FS2002...I'd like to try something that will have a profound difference. Since areas outside the U.S. have often been ignored, I'm going to favor those areas in my updates. When you recommend cities, if you can also point me in the direction of any map showing the built-up area, that would be great! My first project will most likely be Mexico city, as the built up area of that city is far too small in FS2002. My recreations won't be 100 percent accurate, as landclass mapping doesn't permit that type of accuracy. I'm also somewhat limited by size--towns smaller than 1 or 2 kilometers are not easily recreated.Let's hear your suggestions (And a huge thank to Jean-Pierre and Orlando for all your help and support)...John, KPHX

Guest Lizardo

Any place in Tibet.

I know I'm having a bad day when someone tells me to go to Tibet :)

Guest Grunt

Tibet...that's funny!Yeah, redo downtown Podunk, Tibet (population 3)!On a more serious note, how about Manila? The default is crappy (author bites tongue and withholds comments about Manila!) but in reality it nas many large buildings, highways, and whatnot. It was interesting to view from a 747 when we broke through the low clouds at about 1500' when I flew there.http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/Us...cdf6182b41d.jpg Great Lakes Express VA - The Midwest's regional and feeder airlinehttp://www.voyagerairlines.com/gle/index.html