Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

AFCAD file multi runway or not?

Can I tell just by looking at an airport's AFCAD file in notepad whether it has been set for multi-runway operation or not?Many of my AFCAD airport files have become detached from their readme files (I know, I know), and I don't want to replace a multi-runway file with one which viewing in AFCAD might tell me has more gates, but which might not have the multi-runway enhancement.(When I found my download folder had accumulated more than 1000 files not yet archived, and many not yet installed, I decided some urgent housekeeping was in order!).

Yes, you probably can but why not open them in AFCAD and check the runway status?I believe the coding is in the runway lines near the end with number like 0x50, 0x55, 0x59. Try experimenting with an AFCAD file to see if you can make the number change according to setting the runway Open/Close Takeoff/Landing switches. See example:RwyLoc( N40:29.1708 W80:13.8749 366.98 91.980 -8.2 11500 200 R 10 CEMENT 0x50 304.8 )

Thanks for the suggestion about checking the runway status - I had forgotten there was so much information in AFCAD. I took a look at a couple of Richard Mohammed's designs, and although his readme files say a certain runway is for takeoffs and another for landings, the appropriate Closed tickboxes were not always ticked, so I am rather puzzled. I would have thought that to force a runway to be used for takeoffs, all others would have to be closed.What have I missed here?

Guest lmoelleb

It is indeed in the mentioned code (I had to play around with it and figured out how to close runways for landing, back when AFCAD could only close for takeoff), and it's rather simple if you know anything about binary and hex numbers. If you don't, then forget it, it's not worth learning it for this. :)The longest available runway will always be used. So it is only runways longer than the runway you want to use for landing or take off you will need to close./Lars

Lars is correct. However, there are tricks to making the ATC use different runways. One is to falsely make the runways the same length in the AFCAD file. Another is to make a false ILS on a runway that doesn't have one.In the scenery design forum there was a discussion about several other bit sets that could lead to other combinations. No one has found all the right keys yet.