Sign in to follow this  

Flightplans and Excel

Hi all,Is there a way to transfer the contents of flightplan.txt to an Excel spreadsheet? I would like to do that in order to tweak arrival and departure times using the various functions available on excel.I've read in various places here about folks using excel.Just doing a copy and paste is no good since all the info is shoved into a single cell.Thanks!Brian

Guest Stamatis

Try renaming Flightplans.txt to Flightplans.csv and then open the renamed file with Excel. It should work.Stamatis

Stamatis,That's what I was looking for.Thanks!Brian

Hi BrianYes the .csv and .txt works just fine.I do all my amendments by using excel. I usually just open the flightplans.txt in excel and excel identifies the format, just click on comma delineated and all opens smoothly.Save it all as .csv. Close excel and simply rename the file as .txt instead of .csvCheersMike

Hi Brian:I'm an EXCEL geek too ;-)Two caveats: 1) Very long flightplans may not load as the exceed the max. number of columns allowd in EXCEL. Don't know a workaround for that; I edit those plans in Word.2) I your flightplans have different lengths (# of columns), you'll need to weed out extra commas after saving as .csv and renaming to .txt. I do that by loading the file into Word or Wordpad and then running a Replace of ",,," (three commas) with "" (nothing). That does the trick.Cheers, Holger

Guest Captain Barfbag

I've never upgraded Excel beyond my original version 5.0, which generally works fine for my needs. However, it will not do a complete flightplan file because that version is limited to 16K lines. The newer versions will go up to 64K lines, which should suffice unless you've almost tripled your flight plans. Be aware, though, if you're using the older version. I don't remember that it told me it was truncating the data.

Thanks everybody, for the great advice. I'm really getting into the whole AI thing and this makes it alot easier to sort things out.Cheers!Brian