Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

FS generated traffic

Guest JustLanded

After adding a control tower and a number of parking spaces to a previously non-towered airport, I started FS2002 Pro and allowed it to do it's re-indexing. I then used t-tools and AI Traffic and discovered that this little out of the way airport in Pennsylvania was now receiving lots of Moony Bravo traffic from Mongolia. Is there any logic used by FS2002 in assigning what aircraft come from where to a specific airport? I have noticed other oddities too like Piper Cherokies flying from Ontario to KABE.

Guest Captain Barfbag

That's kind of unexpected. If the airport previously had no tower, then it should have had no traffic. Did it have a line in the airports.txt file already? If not, there could not have been traffic there. Is there some silly problem like a duplicate ICAO ID for the airport that maps to an airport in Mongolia?What is the ID of the airport you put a tower on? More important, did you change it from what it was?When you say FS2002 "did re-indexing," I assume you mean the message that comes up when you restart after installing the new frequencies with AFCAD. This does not affect the traffic files, and would certainly not add new traffic to a previously untowered airport.

Guest JustLanded

Captain,Thanks for replying.The airport was previously uncontrolled and had no AI traffic.It did not have a line in the airports.txt file, I added it through the AI Traffic tool and verified it was there by looking at the airports.txt file. There were no duplicate ICAO IDs, I used the search tool to verify this. The airport's ID is 1N9 and was not changed. However, and this may be the answer, I did notice that I had entered the incorrect longitude using E75 degrees instead of W75 degrees. This may have put the airport in Mongolia. But if your last two statements are accurate then I don't know where this traffic came from: I did not insert it. I have removed the traffic by editing the traffic file with Ttools.I have another question but I will enter it as a separate posting.

Guest Captain Barfbag

I missed the reference to "AI Traffic" when I first read this. I don't use it, but I guess it's a utility that automatically adds flights. If that's the case, then looking at a world map confirms your suspicion that using East rather than West longitude would indeed put your airport within Mooney-range of Mongolia.Since Pennsylvania is now also reasonably close to Tibet, say "Hello, Dali!" to the Dali Lama for me, will ya?