Sign in to follow this  

Military Aircraft

I was thinking of adding some military flights to compliment airline and pax operations, but haven't come across any military aircraft to be used specifically as AI. Which military aircraft does everyone use? I'd like to keep them simple models (ie. AI) to go easy on frame rates. Any particular ones you'd recommend?Thanks,Subs

Guest Captain Barfbag

I just go light on the numbers, since all the military planes in my personal air force are not exactly frame rate friendly. A few are so bad (from a frame-rate perspective) that I've taken them "out of service" as far as AI goes. (Of course, these are the nicest-looking planes, but that's the trade-off.) I've also found that many of the warbirds don't fly well as AI - landing short and the like.There's a good KC-135 by Rok Dolenec on AVSIM that flies well and doesn't do much damage if you've only got 1 or 2 around. There's also a Lockheed C5 by Krzysztof Malinowski on AVSIM.You might take a look at the Project Airlift stuff on Project AI to see what others are doing with military planes.

I'm mostly using FS2000 military aircraft since they aren't such framerate hogs (but don't show landing gear either). Of the FS2002 add-ons, I really like the Finnish Air Force AI-package by Mikko Maliniemi and Kari Virtanen (fafai_v1.zip, I believe). Of that package, only the Vinka had consistent flight behavior; for the three other ones (Hawk, F18 and F18-pair), I switched .air and .cfg files to the default B737-400.Cheers, Holger

Guest H_Kev55

ProjectAI currently has 2 models that can be used as military if you wish. The DC10 and the newly released 707 can be used as airborne tankers. I do believe there might be some type of military repaint of a 737, but don't hold me to that.I used FS98 aircraft when I built my military AI. No landing gear, but pretty nice on the frame rates. You can find it in the unofficial downloads at ProjectAI. Just look for RAFBases.KJhttp://forums.projectai.com/dcboard.cgi?az...b470814a70a.gif

I just gave this a shot, creating AI traffic for Elmendorf AFB and Eielson AFB. I used the KC10 for ProjectAI, and one of the F-15C's by Kimitaka Nishida (FS15CKAB.ZIP). Kimitaka Nishida's model is GMAX, so I was hoping it might be "frame rate friendly." I haven't done enough flying yet to fully gauge the result, but when I keep the number of flight plans per airport modest (15 each) and check the airports in slew mode, frame rates look about like what I get with other a/c I've used for AI.So far, so good.-Basil