Sign in to follow this  

Can No Longer Access Some Airports in the Flight Planne

I tried to create a flight plan last night and noticed that, although all the airports are still listed within FS2002, many of them don

Unfortunately on a few computers AFCAD messes up AFD files. You should restore all of the AFD bgl files (one by one if you wish) and find out which one is corrupted (hopefully only one!). Then export all changed airports out of that file (that aren't corrupted - you generally won't be able to edit them) and then try to reimport them into the default bgl file.If you can't find the one (or more) file(s) that are causing the problem, you can always use the Default Restore facility in AFCAD or copy all the bgl files from your FS2002 CD into the AFD Files folder.Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Thanks for the reply Tom. I have to agree it appears to be some kind of problem with AFCAD. As I mentioned in my original post, I already re-installed four of the original AFD bgl files from my FS2002 CDs. These four files correspond to the only four on my system that were revised in the past week. I was very surprised that the problem was still there after trying that. The other thing that strikes me as odd is CYOW (Ottawa) is the only Canadian airport that I'm having trouble with and CYOW is the only one where I was actually editing the airport layout. I tried re-installing the original CYOW airport but that didn't solve my problem either. Most of the cities that are not accessible now are in Europe where I also do a lot of my 'flying'. I'll take your advice and try replacing more of the AFD bgl files to try and find one or more that's corrupted. Re-installing files won't be a problem as I've retained all modified airports that I've processed through AFCAD in a separate directory in the event of just such a disaster. Although tedious, anything is preferable to having to re-stall FS2002.Larry

Have you tried disabling the addon scenery to see if it is the problem. I would first try disabling in the scenery library. If that doesn't work, delete if from the scenery library. If that doesn't work, remove the scenery (with scenery and texture subfolders) folder out of fs2002 and place elsewhere temporarily. If you place any new textures in your fs2002textures folder, try and remove those also.

I had the same problem. It seemed to be related to UK airports, and since I recently imported a new AFCAD airport, I tried replacing the relevant bgl (AFCAD's airport restore kept coming up with an error, so I extracted the files from the FS2002 disk directly.This had no effect, so I extracted and replaced ALL the bgl files and restarted FS2002 - No change at all!Next, I removed all add on sceneries and airports. No luck.So the question is, if all the bgl files are the default ones from the FS2002, what exactly is FS2002 using to generate the AFD files? One strange thing I have noticed is that FS re-indexes each time I start it, even though I haven't made any changes.Any suggestions gratefully received

This is something I've also recently noticed happening as well. The solution I am using is fairly easy. If you find such an airport, go into AFCAD and open up that airport, then just save it. Reload MSFS and the airport should once again be available.

Thanks. Tried that too - Didn't work on my system.My point is that, if FS uses the BGL files in SCENEDBAFDFILESScenery and one replaces all of those files with the default BGL files from the FS disc, and FS rebuilds the database of facilities data, and it still doesn't replace the missing airports, then I would figure that the BGL files are not the only ones used to determine airport facilities data!PS: Have just had another look. Using the DEFAULT North Europe BGL from the FS disk, and with no add on scenery, the airports are missing from most of Europe EXCEPT: Iceland, Finland and the Ukraine!PPS: A further thought - I can use old flight plans to go to a problem airport, and I've noticed AI aircraft still operating. Therefore, it seems that the AFD files are being used, they're just not showing up on the Flight Planning / Go to Airport screens!

Have you deleted ALL of your edited files (or changed them so they don't end in BGL) anywhere in your FS installation? If not FS will still use them...Hope this helps,-- Tom GibsonCalifornia Classic Propliners: http://www.calclassic.com/Cal Classic Alco Page: http://www.calclassic.com/alco/Freeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.com/ San Diego Model RR Museum: http://www.sdmodelrailroadm.com/Drop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

You may have something there Tom. When I restored my original AFD bgl files I simply 'moved' the edited ones to a Backup Directory that I had created within the SCENEDB directory itself. If FS2002 works as you've suggested, it would try to read both the old and the new versions of each file. Not sure which file would actually get indexed when the program encounters duplicate bgls and, unfortunately, I won't be able to try it out until I get home from work. Based on his posts, my experiences have been very similar to Nigel's so it will be interesting to hear whether he renamed his edited files or not.

Thanks for this, but I moved the original bgls onto the desktop.After copying the original bgls from the FS2002 disc, and discovering this didn't work, I uninstalled FS completely, and re-installed.This worked, and all airports showed up. I then took a copy of these clean files and substituted a few bgls at a time, which narrowed the problem down to eurnwafd.bgl and eurswafd.bgl. These files have had most modifications. So I removed them from the FS folder and replaced them with the known working copies. Then, as a previous post suggests, I went to my latest bgls (on the desktop) and exported a few airports. I then imported them back into the current FS installation. And the problem came back! I couldn't tell at all whether any of the aiports I tried were corrupted, so it's of neccessity a trial and error process. Whatever AFCAD is doing to corrupt the files seems to be ongoing. Weird, since it's worked fine up until now.I'm now going to try one aiport at a time, to see if I can pinpoint the culprit!

The cuplrit seems to be AFCAD itself!I discovered that any bgl which had been modified by AFCAD is corrupted and airports don't show. So I reverted to the original bgls from Microsoft and added ONE airport which I'd exported from the bgl I'd been using until today.The problem recurred - so I reverted to the original bgl. Problem gone.Next, I downloaded a new AFCAD file and tried that - same problem.Next, I downloaded another copy of AFCAD 122 (after much searching the web - why isn't it on AVSIM anymore?) and tried that with the new txt file - Same problem.Not sure what to do next. Is there an alternative to AFCAD? Clearly there's a problem with it. Why it should materialise now, after many months of perfect working order is a mystery.Back to AI on the grass then!

I guess the thing that bothers me the most in all this discussion is the fact that restoring all the original AFD bgl files doesn

Everything worked fine after I re-installed FS2002 and the installed add-on scenery. The problem only started after I'd modified a bgl file with AFCAD.After replacing the modified bgls with the MS originals from the install disc, the airports reappeared but every time I load FS2002 the message "Building Database..." and "Indexing..." appear, even though I haven't added any scenery / airports since the previous session.My latest theory is that once the bgls are corrupted, then this affects them in some way that means FS has to keep re-indexing.The only thing I can do now, since I don't know where FS indexes to, is to re-install the whole thing again (!), delete all the corrupted bgls and see if re-importing into clean files works!

I don't have your problem, thankfully, but it sounds to me like a problem with the function that is indexing the .bgl files. I suspect that there is an index file somewhere (scenerydb?) that has been corrupted by something in the AFCAD modified .bgl file. Once the indexer goes to work during start up, the index file is getting corrupted and subsequent replacement of the bad .bgl isn't fixing it.Just my .02scott s..

Thanks Scott - I was thinking along those lines myself, so I reinstalled FS2002 (3rd time today) and with a clean install (ie: no add ons of any sort) I opened AFCAD (new version) and opened an airport (EGLL). All I did was insert a gate and restart FS2002.Guess what! Same problem again. All airports from EURNWAFD.BGL showing no start locations! Great stuff.What next I wonder...