Sign in to follow this  

Can No Longer Access Some Airports in the Flight Planne

SOLUTION!!!!I sent an email to Lee Swordy, who was very helpful in explaining what could be causing the problem. I did what he suggested, but no luck.Given that I was using a clean install of FS2002, with no add-ons, I decided that the problem must originate with my system. A virus check came up clean, so I disabled Cacheman (memory manager) and rebooted. No change. Then I remembered that I'd recently changed a setting of a system utility. I use SytsemSuite 4.0 and had recently started to use its File Undelete option, which saves files which have been deleted from the Windows Recycle Bin. I switched this off and cleaned everything out. Then I re-started Cacheman and BINGO!! All is now working well!!I'm not really surprised that SystemSuite was the cause of this. I've had nothing but trouble with it since I bought it. The makers insist that its compatible with XP, but I don't think so. Of the dozen utilities only about half actually work in the way described, but that's for a different forum!!!Thanks for all your suggestions guys! And for all of you who are terrified of re-installing MSFS - It's not that bad! I usually put a copy of the whole FS folder on the desktop. The uinstaller leaves a lot of your old files anyway and a re-installation won't overwrite add-on aircraft. I then copy traffic files and such bit by bit (testing in between) until everything is up and running again!Happy Flying!Nigel (UK)

Glad to hear that you resolved the problem on your PC Nigel. Also pleased the problem turned out to be a software conflict and not AFCAD or FS2002 itself. As you know, I

Hi Larry!Lee explained that this problem can happen if any imported scenery contains AFD files that are not exactly right. For example, if the designer made some small error when compiling the file. This causes FS2002 to reindex the bgl which contains the duff airport - but it can't do it properly because of the "holes" in the data, so that all airports in that particular bgl go missing.Of course, in my case the same problem was being caused by the File Undeleter creating lots of spurious files in the Scenedb folder, which had the same effect on my modified bgls.Lee sent me a small BGL checker. It looks for problems in facility files. Just drop it on your desktop and run from there. Lee's advice was to delete any that it suspected (or at least rename the bgl part and see if it was causing the problem. Not sure if it's downloadable anywhere else.If this doesn't work - then just drag the whole MSFS file onto the desktop. Then re-install MSFS from the disc. The installation won't change your MSFS folders on the desktop, it will just create a new, clean set of folders at the default location (C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFS2002). You can use this install to test like I did. If you still have problems, then software conflict is likely. Once you've solved the problem, simply delete the new FS folder and drag your original on the desktop back to the default location! I've used this method a number of times - including after Windows XP crashed and I had to re-install everything. The fs2002 folder was still in place when I got Windows up ans running, but of course there were no corresponding registry entries. The method above restored the registry and I didn't have to re-install all my add-ons!Good Luck!Nigel

Just wanted to let everyone who has been following this thread know that my problem accessing some FS2K2 airports has also been resolved. The problem was a small scenery file I recently downloaded that adds NDBs to Trenton, Ontario. As soon as I removed it, I loaded FS2K2 and all of my missing airports re-appeared. I've e-mailed the author to let him know. Although everyone who responded to my question on this forum has been helpful, I want to particularly thank Lee Swordy and Nigel for taking so much of their time to help me resolve this. Larry Stephens

All's well that ends well Larry!Glad the problem has been resolved for you too. The positive thing is that we've all learned a little bit more about MSFS along the way!Happy Flying!Nigel