Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Keeping Traffic away from each other in the air...an id

Hi all,i've been trying to figure out how to prevent 2/3/4 planes on approach at once, creating many GA's and sometimes planes getting stuck on the rwy. Unless there's already a way to completely fix this(i've look in about every forum and so far it looks like everyone is just about as puzzled by this as myself) I have an idea and i have no idea if it would work but would like to hear your thoughts about it. I see the problem as being an ATC issue. If Approach control was modeled better, it would provide proper spacing.Would it be possible to create a gauge to put into the panel of the AI aircraft that can prevent a plane from coming too close to another? I don't know how the panel system works on AI plane...as in, if any panel gauges are even loaded unless you are in that plane. It would have to be a pretty complex gauge but i think it would be possible. This gauge would basically bring an ATC facility into the cockpit of each airplane.I wouldn't be surprised if this is entirely impossible because of FS limitation, but i'd like to hear any and all comments.

Great idea! Unfortunately, because panels are not used by AI planes, I don't think there's a way to do it. To save space, many AI planes don't even have panel folders.Best regards, Ron

Ron,I noticed that but i was still hopeful :) I wonder if it would be possible to force a gauge to be loaded into those AI planes by making a simple panel that basically consists of only that gauge. It would be nice if somehow we could get something like that to work. The concept is simple, implementation unfortunately is slim to nill.Justin

Guest Stamatis

I had suggested to the authors of both AITM and yRoute to provide a feature whereby the user could specify the minimum time interval between consecutive arrivals, so that the programs would modify conflicting flights accordingly to ensure adequate spacing. This should be even easier now, with the use of the "@" sign for hard coding the arrival time.It does not seem that either of the two took my suggestion on board :-(Stamatis

I think its flogging a dead horse to be honest.The only way MSFS will ever space planes out is by modelling holding patterns,stacking them up etc.Heres to FS9 :()

Even if aircraft were spaced by flightplan arrival time, the variations in the directions in which they've spawned and approach the airport from will eliminate any positive effects of such a scheme. To make a time-spaced arrival plan work, you'd have to adjust the times with regard to the direction in which aircraft is approaching the airport from and the current landing runway. Or increase the interval to such an extent that basically, you'd probably have to eliminate the majority of flights in any reality based flightplan.

Guest Stamatis

You are correct in what you are saying Kevin, I agree that my suggestion would definitely not solve the problem. I only hoped it would simply mitigate it."Or increase the interval to such an extent that basically, you'd probably have to eliminate the majority of flights in any reality based flightplan."Well, it can't be that bad :-) But even if I had to miss a flight or two in exchange for more realistic spacing I would still prefer it. However, it looks like the ATC engine in FS9 offers traffic separation, so our problem may have been already addressed by MS.Stamatis