Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

AI Times?????

I have added several AI planes to my flightplan. If I set the time at the GMT time in the plan using the GMT setting in FS2002 I don't see my planes. They don't appear and never takeoff. I am getting frustrated. I think I have everything setup OK. Please forgive me as I am new to making AI plans. Is there something I am missing? Thanks, regards, Bob.

Do you have enough gates?

Guest Captain Barfbag

Also remember that the first airport specified in the flight plan is the ARRIVAL airport, not the DEPARTURE airport. If you are setting your time to the first time in the flightplan line, then you should be at the airport at the END of the flightplan to see the aircraft.

Hi. Yes I have enough gates. I tried the KSUU AFCAD file at Travis which sets up parking paces for the DC-10's. I used AFCAD to add the overlay to FS2002. It is suppposed to be set for several KC-10's. I set the radius for taxiing right. The plane flies OK in FS2002. I have used AITM and looked at the takeoff time which I assume is GMT. I went to FS2002, set KSUU at the same GMT time (a little bit before the taxi time). I have the A/C titles set correct the same as they are in the aircraft.cfg. The A/C is listed correctlty in the aircrafts.txt file before and after compiling. The airport is listed in the airports.txt before and after compiling. The palnes and flight plans seem to be correct in the flightplans.txt before and after compiling. No aircraft show up at Travis at all. I am really stumped. All the stock AI planes show up OK at all of the other airports. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks, best regards,Bob.

IHi. I used AITM to get the departure time at KSUU. That's the time I set as GMT time in FS2002. Thanks, any help would be really appreciated, best regards, Bob.

Guest Captain Barfbag

Overlay? That's the first time you've mentioned that. If you have an overlay, then the planes need to have the overlay's ICAO code (like 2SUU or KSU2) instead of the original airport's code, KSUU. If not, they will try to go to the original KSUU which might not have the right sized gates.Also, try a small stock aircraft like a Cessna. If that doesn't show up, then the problem is likely with the flight plan. If it does show up, they you've either got a gate/radius problem or the aircraft itself is bad. Of course, if you can fly the plane then it's probably good.There is a data item in the .air file which says whether the aircraft is Flyable Only, AI only or Both. That might be set to Flyable Only, but I don't think I've ever seen that except on helicopters.

Make sure that you have the time setting correct in AITM, or it will display the incorrect times. Either set it to GMT and use that in FS, or check the difference between GMT and local time from within FS and set that difference into AITM.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Hi. Thanks. How do I know which overlay I have installed? I seem to remember that one of them was KSUU2. I am really new at all this AFCAD stuff. Thanks, regaards, Bob.

Guest Captain Barfbag

AFCAD has a feature called Catalog/Delete/Restore Airports under the File menu. Click the button under "Show only new or modified airports" and it will display all the ones that you've installed or changed.ICAO codes are 4 characters, so KSUU2 might cause problems. I've never tried using more than 4 characters, so I can't predict what would happen. (3 characters works, though.)Looking at Travis, I don't see much point in creating an overlay. You're not dealing with multiple airlines, and with the amount of traffic I'd expect it's a lot of extra work to divide up the aircraft. There are only 2 runways, and if you want to use them both it's probably more effective to close one for landings and the other for takeoffs so both will be in use.What an overlay does is effective create a second airport on top of the first. Generally, one overlay uses one set of terminals and runways, and the second overlay uses the other. This works reasonably well with parallel runways, but not so well with crossing runways because FS2002 gets confused about which overlay an aircraft belongs to once it lands. If you're just starting this, I'd suggest looking at the RAFCAD (Radiused AFCAD) stuff on Project AI, which does a much better job of routing aircraft to terminals. RAFCAD can be used in conjunction with overlays also.

Hi Captain. The AFCAD file I installed was called KSUU2. I will go and look at AFCAD as you stated. Thanks, regards, Bob.