Sign in to follow this  

another another afacd prob.

is there a way to change the size of aircraft spaces without getting to much into the technical aspect of things?explain...i eliminated all the cessnas and pipers from departing and arriving at the local international airport, but now i wanna make sure that any jet that comes in will not be afraid to plow into those little spots. so what i'm wondering is-- do i need to change the size by myself or will the jets go there if needed with no prompting from me.

Guest Captain Barfbag

An aircraft will always go to the smallest parking space it will fit in, but never to one any smaller. If all the "appropriate" sized spots are filled, it will take a larger one, but not a smaller one. So, if you get rid of all the GA aircraft, those spaces will probably not be used.Of course, the good news is that AFCAD is very easy to use. Bring up the program, open the airport, right-click on the spot of interest and change its size. Then save the file back and you're done.

okay i have gotten to the point of changing the space size, but do i need to change any internal things to let these jets know that the spaces are okay to use?

No, just the size. Of course, you could also change their designation from "Parking" to "Gates" and change their name from whatever to Gate A4 (etc.), but that is optional.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Captain Barfbag

I dunno, Tom. Should we tell him about RAFCAD, and getting all the planes to park at the terminals and gates where they belong? After you start trying to get the gate number right, it's a slippery slope down to being a Traffic Tools addict...

I agree a Ai habit could easily become a addition, RAFCAD I my experiences doesn't work all the time but is a step in the right direction. you'll need AITM anyway .. there's a "resize gates" in tools that might be what you looking for.

Hmmm. i am left with this tiny problem--i took out the "cargo" spots and changed them to "heavy parking" but the international heavy jets go to the only two cargo spots i have, and the new "heavies" are empty.i do have rafcad for this airport, but as for the others, i decided to just leave them as is (afcad).

In the AFCAD Lists menu for parking spots, you will see the order in which FS will assign gates (top to bottom) - you can change the order there if you like.The only time RAFCAD hasn't worked for me was when I made an error... :)Hope this helps,

Guest Captain Barfbag

If you aren't using RAFCAD, then you should use RAMP CARGO for your cargo parking. If you are using RAFCAD, then you should use CARGO LARGE and CARGO SMALL.Once you've got all the planes properly radiused, then RAFCAD works great at every airport that has it. I see a lot of undesired behavior at non-RAFCAD airports, though, because some of the planes end up in places they don't belong. In particular, many of the Domestic-category planes (737's, etc.) fit into the old Gate Small parking areas rather than the Gate Medium's where non-radiused Domestics would otherwise end up.If you have a partially-RAFCAD'd airport, you should drag the non-RAFCAD spaces down to the bottom of the list so the RAFCAD spaces will be checked first. You can do this easily with the Lists-Parking window of AFCAD - just select a line and drag it up or down in the list.

hope folks are still out there!!!anyway, here is what i have been trying to say...suppose i want my UPS and FedEx planes to go to the section used for "cargo". how do i make it so that no plane uses those spots until the cargo planes show up?the same goes for the heavies and standards. i would like to do this for a handful of airports for certain and another few just for fun.it's nice that i can take the cargo spots down in the priority list, but that doesn't mean that the planes that are supposed to use them will ever get to use them.i don't think that aitm has the ability to assign a plane to a specific gate or parking spot...or does it?

You can do that by making sure there are enough gates to accomodate all of the other pax traffic - the AI will go to the gate with the tightest fit.

Sounds like it's time for you to head over to www.projectai.com and check out the RAFCAD section. You'll need to give your CARGO gates and planes a specific radius to reserve them for cargo use.Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Another option is to make an overlay for the cargo area ONLY.If the airport you are working on has mutli-runways, you could assign Cargo it's own personal runway if you went that route.CJ PuttKTPA