Sign in to follow this  
Azapata87

Is WindowsME stable with FS2002?

I have an opportunity to upgrade from Windows98 to WindowsME. Is it stable? Does FS2002 run OK on WindowsME? Are WindowsME users happy? Is it better than Windows98?Any advice appreciated.Airdog

I have no problem with FS2002 under WinMe. However I don't think WinMe is much better than Win98. The same instability problems - but it doesn't affect your FS2002 which runs well.Michael J.

I would'nt put the world "stability" and "win ME" in the same sentence. Frankly, stay with win98 or take XP it's far away better..

If your stuck with Windows ME like me youll find that fs2002 runs fine under Win me. Andrew

Guest PaulL01

WinMe should be renamed: LooseMe!WinMe is THE notorious Bad Gaming and all around incompatibility Black hole of an OS period. Your win98SE is certainly not as stable as win2k or WinXP but it is still a great game performance OS. If you feel the need to upgrade go strait to WinXP, otherwise keep win98SE.It might be noted that many shops that build custom computers you can still have win98SE installed/and/or buy it boxed, you will not find the same to be true of Loose/win/Me for obvious reasons. :-rollPaul

Reading the replies to this question is interesting. It would appear that many of the posters are expressing an opinion on a subject without the benefit of first hand knowledge or experience.I have had Windows ME installed on my system since it was released. In my opinion, based on about two years experience, it certainly does not deserve the brickbats thrown at it in this thread.First of all, it is very stable with FS2002. Secondly, I have had far fewer system problems that I did with its predecessors.Michael VerlinHistoric Jetliners Group

Hello,I also have ME and didn't have too many problems in about a year.The thing is that it was preinstalled on a Compaq PC.Can i still just install XP over it,and would i see somekind of improvement with fs2k2.My system is Athlon 950,512 sdram,Geforce 3 TI 200.ThanksRichard

I've been using ME since it came out and had ZERO problems with it. Most stable OS I've ever used. The ONE time I had a problem I caused it and the restore feature of ME saved my butt. 98SE was an absolute piece of crap for me. As long as ME works this well I have no desire or need to upgrade to XP.Just my experience, yours may vary.

Guest Edam

>I also have ME and didn't have too many problems in about a >year.The thing is that it was preinstalled on a Compaq >PC.Can i still just install XP over it,and would i see >somekind of improvement with fs2k2. XP cannot be installed over ME. I've had no problems (other than those that I've caused myself) with ME either.

Guest drobson

I would agree with you, Michael. I've not had it installed since its' inception, but am running it on 3 machines and have found it to be more stable than 98SE.Darrell

Guest DSandberg

Gotta chime in to say that I have been having a quite positive experience with Windows ME as well.Personally I think at least some of the bad feelings about WinME stem from the time of its original release, when there was a lot of hardware that was found to be incompatible with it. But just about anything in a remotely recent or updated system at this point in time is probably going to get on with WinME just fine. There's also the System Restore and PC Health stuff that was added new in ME, but I believe that can be disabled fairly easily if you want (and I haven't yet found it necessary to do so).What is strange to me is that WinXP reportedly has compatibility problems with some existing hardware (and software) that are quite similar to those experienced by WinME out of the gate (and Win2K, for that matter). A friend of mine is remarkably knowledgeable on such matters and uses XP on multiple machines, and has confirmed this to me. I'm guessing that somewhere between WinME's release and today, people have come to accept (or at least swallow) the idea that you may have to replace some older hardware when upgrading to a brand new OS edition ... something that people hadn't bought into yet at the time of WinME's release, and the initial bad rep has stuck. In fact I suspect that the majority of people who continue to slag WinME as "the worst OS ever" at this point in time have never even tried it and are just repeating things they've heard elsewhere.- David Sandberg

A lot of people are'nt "working hard" their computer, and therefore don't experience the problems you encounter with 98 or ME. I agree with the statement that 98se was'nt more stable than ME. But 98 took less place on the HD, was faster, and easier to tweak.Win 2000 and xp, if well installed with the right drivers are really really far away more stable than their predessecors.

Thank you all for your responses.The main reason I am considering going to WinME is that with my present Win98 I am unable to network my internet connection with two other computers in the house. I understand with WinME I have this capability and also the option to 'upgrade' Win98 and not have to do a full Windows reinstall - something I really do no want to do at this time.Of course, FS2002 running well is a priority.Airdog