Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

How does one install an ATIS for an airport?

Guest Stamatis

I have discovered that simply entering an ATIS frequency and name via the Ttools menu does not work. What exactly does it take to actually install a working ATIS for an FS2002 airport?Stamatis

Guest Stamatis

I thought this was done in AFCAD, not TTools.Ooops! AFCAD was what I meant to write, sorry.I believe the name has to match the ICAO code for the airport.No, that's my point. It is not enough. I suspect the actual ATIS must exist in the scenery file(s) themselves. Just like with the ILS's, if they are not in the scenery file, no matter what you input via AFCAD won't make a difference.Can anyone confirm this?Stamatis

Guest Joshieca

Ok you need to the ICAO id code for your airports METAR. If it doesn't exist then you can't get weather.Look it up here: http://weather.noaa.gov/weather/metar.shtmlThen using AFCAD 1.3 or higher..1. Open your airport2. Under the LISTS menu choose COMM FREQUENCIES3. Then choose to INSERT, then choose ATIS from the pull down menu4. Enter in your frequency5. Then under "name" enter in the four digit airport code (ex: KJFK)6. Save and exitNow if everything is ok, you should be able to have ATIS at your airport.[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/STO/]Visit The Bookstore & Gift Shoppe][/b

Guest Stamatis

What you describe is exactly the procedure I followed.It does not seem to work for the FS2002 airports that do not feature an ATIS in the default version. I suspect that ATIS must also be embedded in the particular bgl file.Example: EDFH (Hahn, Frankfurt)EDFH publishes a METAR, but if I follow the above procedure, ATIS does not work.It is not as simple as we both think.Stamatis

Guest Joshieca

Well I just tried with EDFH. - Followed the directions above and set the freq. to 134.800- Saved and exited out of AFCAD ver. 1.4- Launched FS2002, it did its database rebuilding thing- Choose EDFH as the airport- Downloaded/updated the current weather- Went to the airport EDFH (HAHN)- Brought up the ATC window "`"- Choose the ATIS of 134.800 Got the weather....worked fine. Not sure where you are having difficulty, check your freq to make sure its one that the sim can use. If you like you can email your AFCAD airport export .txt file and I can take a look at it for you.Best... Joshua

Guest Stamatis

Joshua,Thank you for your time.When I do all that and bring up the ATC window, there is no option for contacting ATIS, so I am obviously doing something wrong.When I load the airport in AFCAD, the list of Comm frequencies shows the ATIS entry fine.I will email you my EDFH export file when I return home in the evening.Can I have your email address?Stamatis

Guest Joshieca

>Joshua,>>Can I have your email address?>>StamatisHere is my email address: avsim @ jetdoc.comYou need to remove the spaces before and after the @ symbol for it to work. This is so that robotic spamer email readers can't get it. :)If you have a special radio freq. requirement for your ATIS freq. please send that in the email as well.

ATIS depends on there being an actual ICAO weather reporting location. Check your fs2002weathericao name.cfg file for the location you need. If it is not part of this file, then it probably doesn't exist. You might want to see if any of the government weather reporting systems have it in their databases. If so, then you might try adding it to the *.cfg file.You would then need to assign the proper frequency for that reporting site to your AFCAD file and maybe to other files as well.

Guest Stamatis

Check your fs2002weathericao name.cfg file for the location you need.I checked and EDFH is listed correctly.You would then need to assign the proper frequency for that reporting site to your AFCAD fileAlready did so.and maybe to other files as well.It is the "other files" part that worries me...Stamatis

Guest Stamatis

I think I discovered the problem.The real world ATIS frequency for EDFH is 136.35, but the FS2002 COM radios can dial up to 135.975Once I set the ATIS frequency to 135.35 in the AFCAD file, it worked.I just wonder how did you manage to make EDFH work, other than by assigning a fictitious frequency to its ATIS?Stamatis

Guest Stamatis

Indeed.A pity, because a lot of real world ATIS frequencies are higher than 135.97 I guess that in such cases we have to use fictitious frequencies.Thanks for the help to all of you who took the time to look into this!Stamatis