Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

Obstruction

Guest Stamatis

I have noticed that AI aircraft, when they taxi, do not consider other AI aircraft as obstructions, unless these AI aircraft are moving, i.e. active. Thus it is not uncommon to see an AI aircraft touching another parked AI aircraft as it makes its turn away from the parking stand.On the contrary, our own aircraft is always considered as an obstruction by the AI aircraft, parked or not.I often observe taxi-ing AI aircraft stopping short of my own aircraft while maneuvering, when in fact there is enough room for them to complete their maneuver.So here is my question:What are the AI aircraft considering, or basing their decision on, when it comes to my aircraft dimensions? a) Is it the dimensions inside the *.air file?:( Is it the dimensions inside the aircraft.cfg file?c) Is it the dimensions incorporated in the *.mdl file?Stamatis

They are basing their behavior on the value contained within the MDL file. It's the same radius as the "crash" radius for your plane. If you approach a building VERY slowly (or turn off crash detection), at some point your plane will stop short. This is your "radius" value. They will not enter that radius, plus their own radius. Sometimes you can even push against this point for an AI aircraft while taxiing, and suddenly come to a stop.BTW, you can change that radius for your own plane using AITM, just as we do it for the AI planes to determine where they park. Since I use RAFCAD, I usually set my plane's radius to the same value as if I were using RAFCAD - then I get sent to the correct gate (if there's one available).Hope this helps,--Tom GibsonCal Classic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.comFreeflight Design Shop: http://www.freeflightdesign.comDrop by! ___x_x_(")_x_x___

Guest Stamatis

Tom,Thank you very much for the reply.A few more questions though, if I may:1) When you refer to "crash" radius, is it the same as the "gate size" radius?2) "They will not enter that radius, plus their own radius."So, if my "crash" radius is 30 meters, and the AI aircraft's "crash" radius is also 30 meters, does this mean that the AI aircraft will stop when 60 meters(!) away from my own aircraft?3) "Sometimes you can even push against this point for an AI aircraft while taxiing, and suddenly come to a stop."Do you mean that my aircraft will come to a stop, or the AI aircraft will come to a stop? If you refer to the AI aircraft, will it come to a stop even if I infringe on the "crash" radius while taxi-ing behind it?4) "BTW, you can change that radius for your own plane using AITM, just as we do it for the AI planes to determine where they park."I have only been able to modify the Gate size radius via AITM. Cannot find a field for modifying the "crash" radius. I guess this refers back to my question no 1 above.Stamatis

1. Same. Use the AITM radius field.2. That is measured center to center. No need to be shocked like that with the 60m. The larger radii aircraft give other taxiing aircraft the kind of wide berth as done in real life. It's the smaller radii aircraft that visually annoy when they get too close to other traffic before stopping.3. Not a clue. I haven't tried anything funny like that yet, all I've ever done is just taxi around like normal.4. Refer to #1.

Guest Stamatis

Thank you Tom! Off to AITM to experiment.Stamatis