Sign in to follow this  

Revisiting Autogenious

Someone correct me if I am wrong, please. Francesco's website says that Autogenious has been tested with FS2002 default textures and with his Italy Landpack. It also says that it has not been tested with Lennart's replacement textures or with any commercial texture package.I've been experimenting with Autogenious, using it with the default FS textures, Lennart's and Ruud Faber's textures. It doesn't seem to properly position the autogen objects when Lennart's or Ruud's textures are in use. With the default FS2002 textures it seems to work beautifully, as previously reported by others here.Has anyone noticed that Autogenious works with Lennart's or Ruud's textures? If the answer is like mine above, that it doesn't, it is a pity really, because its effects are nice.Thanks for any feedback.

I an using Autogenius with Lennert's textures and it works fine. I don't use Ruud Faber's textures, however.Ray :)

Guest Kurt

If you really want to understand the autogen files, you should get the Autogen SDK from Microsoft. It is actually pretty easy to change/modify the files for the individual textures.As far as any agn file (original or replacement) working with different textures, it depends on how different the textures are from each other. If a texture replacement is significantly different than the original, you will likely see trees/buildings misplaced unless you use a agn file set up specifically for that texture.Two textures compared, Lennarts on the left, default on the right, http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ce6581077111035.jpgThe default agn file with the above two textures, the green boxes are the autogen trees, the red indicates building placement, the blue box is there to show that the tree placement that works well lining up along the road with the original texture on the right has a conflict when used with Lennarts texture on the left. The autogen is placed in the same locations, but the layout of roads, etc. is different between the original and replacement texture.http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ce6586277d1cc05.jpgReplacement agn file on left, default on right, both with the default texture. Here you can see that the replacement agn has more buildings assigned than the original agnhttp://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3ce66c6032cda8d0.jpgBoth the original and replacement agn file is likely to show misplaced buildings/trees if used with a replacement texture. If the replacement agn has more buildings assigned than the original agn it is likely to be more noticeable.Kurt

Thanks for the replies, guys.Kurt, appreciate the time you took to post these details. If I understand what you said correctly, then we won't see the Autogenius improvement on the replacement textures, like Lennart's and Ruud's. This is what I have noticed as well in my small experiments. With the default FS textures, you see the autogen objects beautifully and realistically aligned along roads or at the end of them, and you see the houses properly positioned in fields, whereas with the replacement textures, you see the houses all over the place, unless I'm imagining things :-)That is a pity; it would have been very nice to use Autogenius with Lennart's.Anyway, all the best.

The Kurt's explanation is correct. Autogenius has been realized for the default textures. If you use different textures, you'll see houses and trees misplaced respect to the design. In every case it is very easy to create/modify autogen, and i believe in next weeks we will see new packages realized for Lennart and other authors textures.Attached: with a Cessna 172 near Foggia, Puglia, Southern Italy.Regards

Francesco, thanks for dropping in on this thread to confirm what is being discussed. I'll take this opportunity to thank you much for Autogenious.All the best.

Naji,It appears you're correct...and I'm heartsick. The effect Autogenius has on DEFAULT textures (and Francesco's Italian textures) is incredible. However...I was flying from Lopoc, California to Santa Barbara using Orlando Sotomajor's landclass textures and noticed buildings were placed in the middle of streets, etc. Damn! It's such a beautiful program with the default textures that I don't want to delete it...and Orlando's landclass textures are so absolutely fantastic that I don't want to go back to defaults! Guess I'll just live with them both for now.

Guest Lizardo

It works fine with my "Denney" mesh, and a great improvement on the defualts. Perhaps what your seeing, Naji is all the movement after the latest earthquake out there? :-hah

If you don't mind a little work, you can download the Autogen SDK and make custom autogen files for Orlando's textures. If you put them into the local Texture folder (FS2002Addon SceneryCalifornia LandclassTexture ?) rather than the FS2002Scenedbworldtexture folder, they will override the Autogenius autogen in that area.

Lizardo,Autogenius should work well with any MESH, it's the 3rd party TEXTURES that it doesn't work with (Sotomajor, Foxx, et.). Sure hope Francesco's right about seeing some workarounds in the near future.Jeff

Dear Psychophant,(don't know that I've ever addressed anyone like that before!)Ya' know, I got into MSFS to fly and I keep getting sucked in deeper and deeper!:-) As I suffer from OTS (obsessive tweaking disease) I probably WILL download the Autogen SDK and see what's involved. But then again, Orlando suggests I should get in there and make my own landclass files. I may never fly again!Do you think there might be a way to EXCLUDE some files from falling under the influence of Autogenius?Jeff

Hey! If you address me as "Dear", your signature better start with "Love" or "Sincerely"!! LOL :-lolAs you'll see when you d/l, the autogen SDK is about the easiest developer's kit in the world to use. You open a land texture file, create some vegetation boxes, lay down some buildings, decide on the type and proportion on trees and buildings to use, save, and you're golden. A new .agn file has been created. I don't mean to put down the creator of Autogenius, because it is rather tedious, especially if you're doing more than a few textures.Now, I'm not sure what you have in mind. You can open any texture in the Scenedb/world/texture folder and create a new or edit the existing .agn file (open the .bmp, not the .agn -- it took me two days to figure that out :-roll ) This new autogen will appear anywhere in the world that texture is used. Any new landclasses should look okay as long as it uses the stock textures. If it uses non-stock textures with unique names, there won't be any autogen (unless the author has provided .agn files). If it uses non-stock textures with the same name as the defaults -- this is where you may run into some discrepancies. (see above post by Kurt). Here's where you break out the SDK. You can create autogen based on the new textures, and as long as they are in the local texture folder (rather than the scenedb/world/texture folder), they will affect only the local area, overriding the global autogen.As for exclusion -- I haven't tried, but I assume you can create a new blank .agn file. If you put this in the local texture folder, my guess is that it will override the global autogen and leave you with not autogen in the local area.Let me know if I've cleared things up, or confused you more. :)BTW, I can't remember the last time I actually flew, other than to check out a new tweak. ;)

Hi all.Autogen may be excluded from an area.Put a landclass BGL in a scenery sub-folder, then create a twin texture sub-folder. This 'localizes' the texture and autogen files. Autogen is now excluded from that landclass' LOD5 area. The landclass BGL may be "transparent", as recently discovered by schampi.If a 'localized' folder structure ( containing scenery and texture sub-folders ) is used with landclass BGLs, all AGN files to be used in the 'localized' LOD5 area must be copied to the twin texture sub-folder. AGN files cannot be 'globalized', so they should not be copied to the main "FS2002Texture".The texture BMP files must either be copied to the 'localized' texture sub-folder, or they may be 'globalized' by copying them to the main "FS2002Texture".If you do not want custom texture BMPs or custom ( or excluded ) AGNs, then do not create a twin texture sub-folder for the landclass BGL folder structure.