Sign in to follow this  

Tooo long wait for take off!

Can someone help me ??Enhanced AI traffic with TTool. That's fine, I could have more AI flights and aircraft that brought more reality in the Sim. However, once I lined up for take-off, there are several or more aircraft ahead of me(this is ok, that's what I wanted) and it really takes time for moving ahead since AI aircraft takes almost 10 minutes each to take-off from holding short of the active runway.I know ATC somehow control the flow including inbound flights on to the active runway but it is too long! Even if a landed aircraft cleared runway and next one is still 10 miles or more to land, the one No.1 take-off would not go into runway for her take-off.Is there way to shorten the sequence ?? Even if I reduced density of AI traffic with setting menu, once there is queue, it does not move ahead quickly.Thank youYuki

Nothing like living in the real world airports, like Atlanta on a foggy day, Dallas/Ft. Worth in thunderstorms, Chicago anytime. At least with FS2002, you can go to options, settings, ATC, and move the slider toward "0%"!!!Remember, you wanted it "as real as it gets!!!":-lol

Try these two things:1 - "sit down" in the cockpit half an hour before you want to start your flight. Sit at the gate for that time(drinking coffee, preflighting, whatever).=)When you start at the gate at, let's say 9am, all AI traffic that was scheduled for take-off from 0845-0900am "wakes up" and hurries to the active. That creates a "traffic jam" quite often. When you have waited half an hour, that should have disappeared in most of the cases.2 - This is for airports with parallel runways (KATL, KSFO, EGLL, KLAX, many others): Get AFCAD here at Avsim.com if you don't have it already. Load the airport where you will begin your flight, right-click on the runways and choose "Properties". That way, find the longest of the parallel runways, and in the same menu, close both ends of that.From now on, all a/c will use the closed runway to land and the other one for departures. You will never have to wait again for landing traffic (and mostly this traffic is the only reason to wait).Doing this, I almost always get take-off clearance immediately, even at airports like EGLL and KATL, which I made very busy.Oh, and just edited to say thank you very much to Lee Swordy for TTools and AFCAD, these are two great programs.Regards,Robert

Guest Vulcho

And my suugestion is before you say ready for take off go infron of a couple of guys and then say it. After all, this is flight SIM. ;-)Just one thing, if a plane has already said to the tower that he/she is ready for take off, and then you cut in front of him/her and say the same thing, the tower will clear him/her for take off first. So be careful how you cut. :-)I also suggest you get AFCAD and d/l all the major airports and update them.Lee Swordy is truly amazing with the creation of this program and TTools.http://turnhead.com/dot/alex/banner-stroke.gif

heres what I do if fuel is a factor......if there are like 3 or more aircraft ahead of you just cut the engines and have some coffee. After everyones gone just start the engines and moe ahead. Who cares about those drunk pilots behind you. If your really in a hurry just go into the grass next to the AI aircraft drag race them to the beggining of the runway lol of course youll win since they taxi at 5 knots.Andrew

Robert,Thanks for the tip. I have had the same problem at KATL.However, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "close both ends" of the longest parallel runway. Could you clarify exactly how you do that in AFCAD?Thanks,Wilson

>However, I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say >"close both ends" of the longest parallel runway. Could you >clarify exactly how you do that in AFCAD? Sure.When you have opened the airport you want to edit, right-click on the runway you want to close (that has to be the longest runway) and select "Properties" - or just doubleclick on it (make sure you click on the runway, not on the taxiway line on that runway).In the menu that follows, you will find "Restrictions" twice - once for the base end, once for the reciprocal end.You can set these to "Closed".Having done that, as I said, landing a/c will still use this runway for landing, but departing a/c will use another runway.I have added a screenshot of the "Properties" menu of a runway and marked the fields where you close the runway.Happy flying,Robert

Hi guys, Thank you for many advises. Speaking of reality and congestion, volume of traffic is not a primary issue. As wsieffert described there should be congestion anywhere at a busy airport. Queueing in a line won't hurt reality but I wondered if there was a solution for unrealistic long holds. I know that ATC in FS is too primitive yet to manage many traffic at a time as you may witness two inbounds flts trying to land at a same time in some ocasion. Making parallel runways active for both inbound and outbound explained by robert_k seems the most usuful and realistic solution. I would like to give it to a try. When I am really in a hurry, then I will follow your suggestion of sai87.Thank you again.Yuki

Robert,Thanks a lot. I was clicking on the wrong spot on the runway.Regards,Wilson